Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Check database backup

Author  Topic 

dewacorp.alliances

452 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-05 : 17:18:39
Hi all

I have an archive database which is about 100GB+ and sets as .bak file. Try coping this file through a network which takes few hours by a normal copy and paste stuff.

The next day, the copy is finish but I need to know whether the copy is valid (complete). Is there anyway to find this? Cause looking the size what I found is not enough unless there are other ways.

Also ... I am thinking to test this copied backup file by doing a restore but it will take time and I don't have space at the moment. Is there any way to test the backup are still intact and valid backup. I know with SQL 2005 there is functionality for this but I am using SQL Server 2000 (SP3a).

I am appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-05 : 17:21:36
The only way to know if it's a restorable file is to run the restore.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-08 : 11:04:38
Try Restore verifyonly -- verifies that the backup is complete without actually performing the restore.

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-08 : 12:09:05
But if restore verifyonly returns success it doesn't guarantee that the file is restoreable. The only way to know that is to actually perform a restore.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-08 : 12:44:09
rlaubert - are you thinking of the improvements in SQL2005 where "restore verifyonly" goes quite a long way towards being confident that the backup is sound? ... but it still needs a Restore and some sort of validation like DBCC CHECKDB to be 100% sure

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -