Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 cluster failover

Author  Topic 

vuacorona
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 14:22:50
Hi all:

I was wondering what will happend to the transaction when the cluster failover from one node to another?

In my case the database is in node-001 and I need to restart the server on node-001. So I need to have the database failover to node-002, so I can work on node-001. During this process, will it effect to end-user?

Thanks
vua

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 14:26:20
Yes it will affect the user. The SQL Server instance will be shutdown, then started. So the databases will be unavailable until the failover is complete. This means that any transactions that haven't been committed will be rolled back at startup.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

pareshmotiwala
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

323 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 15:01:43
usually in your cluster administrator, there is a provision to change the time for failover. the default if I remember correctly is 180 Seconds. You can play with it to reduce it. but as Tara suggested, your queries WILL FAIL.
Go to Top of Page

vuacorona
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 15:21:03
Thank you for all of your quick replies.

One more question.

This concept will apply to failback as well right? So if I want to have to node failback to original node, all the transactions will rollback ?

Thanks
vua

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 15:26:28
Only those transactions that have not been committed will rollback.

Each time a failover occurs, SQL Server services are shutdown, cluster group dependencies are moved over, then the SQL Server services are started up.

Anytime you start the SQL Server service, regardless if it's on a cluster or a standalone server, all not completed transactions are rolled back.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

vuacorona
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 15:43:32
Thank you very much Tara, and thank you all.

Have a wondefull weekend.

vua
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -