Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Restoring Master Database

Author  Topic 

ProEdge
Yak Posting Veteran

64 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-09 : 14:52:57
I had to restore my master database a few months ago to another server. The process was painful but I managed to pull it off. I forgot to write down the process and I now I'm sort of stuck again. The problem I'm having is that after I restore, my master database is still referencing the model, msdb databases that were in previous different directories. Since it can't find them, the service fails to start. I remember that I got around this somehow by using a specific startup parameter through the command prompt. I initially shutdown the service and restart it like this:

sqlservr.exe -f -m -T3608

I add the trace flag so that only the master database is recovered. I then simply restore the master through the GUI, forcing an overwrite. I remember this worked but I'm obviously missing something here. Anyone know a way around this?

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-13 : 08:04:49
Start with restoring the master from the CD not another database. This will create a clean master to which you can restore from backup (you do have a backup of master, correct). If you don't have a backup of Master you can use the store procedure sp_attachdb to reattach the databases on the server. Unfortunately, without a backup, the users, replication, log shipping, maintenance jobs etc will have to be recreated. You may be able to script these from a 'like' server.

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -