Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Installing SQL

Author  Topic 

cnm
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-10 : 04:04:11
I tried installing SQL Server 2005 for educational purposes.
When I double cliked Setup.exe I get the messege "You computer does not meet service pack levels ....."

I use Windows XP Professional Service PAck 2

what could be the reason

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-10 : 04:29:24
Might it be the "Valid legitimate copy of Windows" thingie is missing (sorry, can't remember its name, but it was part of Windows Update in the last 6 months or so)

I've been impressed with the depth of messages that SQL Server 2005 Installer gives - is there no more details explanation of the problem - perhaps some sort of "Click here to se4e more details" type button/link?

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-10 : 16:06:01
What version of SQL Server did you try to install? For XP, I'd recommend Developer Edition.

Kristen,

The details are typically in the setup logs. It gives the path to the logs at the end when the installation fails.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-11 : 01:09:57
Thanks Tara. Was there an installation option that I missed about the location for MDF/LDF? I've changed it post-install, but in SQL 2000 there was an option during install.

I'd like to be able to change the location of Backup files too ... each time I do a Restore (SSMS) I have to wait whilst it draws a detailed tree of the default location - which I don't actually want!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-11 : 18:26:59
It doesn't allow you to change that option through the GUI installation. I wonder if it would allow you to change it if you used an unattended installation though, not sure. We just put the system databases at DriverLetter:\MSSQL.n\Data\. Then we put our user databases elsewhere. I guess if you didn't like the path for the system databases, you could move them using that detach/attach MS article.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-12 : 13:11:12
I think I found it ...

... in the "Feature Selection" if you go to Advanced (to choose more specifically WHICH features are required) there is a "Browse" for the path of each item - and amongst all the programmy-things is

Database Services : Data files

and the path can be changed independently of the "program files" EXE-type stuff.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-12 : 14:13:03
Right, but it doesn't allow you to pick exactly which folder to put the files in. It will do this:

DriverLetterYouPicked:\PathYouPicked...\MSSQL.n\Data
So the MSSQL.n\Data is forced upon you.

This is why we just put DriverLetter:\ in the installation. We don't want any extra folders to have to weed through.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-12 : 22:13:28
So I found ...

... mind you, this used to catch me out under SQL 2000 too!

So I now have F:\MSSQL\DATA\... (which I provided) ...\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-13 : 12:56:36
Uninstall/reinstall!

That's what I've had to do on the very first installation of SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 to determine exactly what path it uses and what I need to provide during the installation to cut the path down.

We provide DriverLetter:\ only for both 2000 and 2005.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-13 : 14:41:00
You are right I remember doing this with SQL 2000 too ... we had x:\MSSQL\MSSQL\...

It would be handy if there was a note at that point about the Child folders that were going to be created

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-13 : 14:46:27
I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but who the heck reads the documentation for an installation!

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-13 : 14:49:17
The rest of were all assuming that you did, and could answer our damn-fool question!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -