Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Connecting Via VPN

Author  Topic 

grc1uk
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-14 : 05:00:17
Hello

We have two sites (London and Coventry). Coventry holds the main database and London hold a website version, which syncs via a VPN. The VPN tunnel is established, using one to one NAT. Giving Coventry the IP of 10.0.0.10 and London the IP of 10.0.0.203
This works fine as we have the TCP port for SQL traffic open on port 1433.
We have just implemented a new SQL server 2000 cluster running on Windows 2003 Server. I have put the rules in to the firewall to allow TCP traffic on 1433 to the 2 new servers in Coventry (10.0.0.8 and 10.0.0.13) From the remote site in London the servers are PINGable and i can browse to these with out an issue. The problem comes when i try and add the SQL instance within the Enterprise Manager or even if i try to TELNET to the server.
Any ideas? I have been thinking that this is something to do with the way that the one to one NAT is configured. As it is set for a value of one at the Coventry end and the start ip address is 10.0.0.10 (which is the old server and is working) So in the firewall rules they are showing as being outside the NAT pool.

The issue i have is that changing the NAT pool size with alter the external IP addresses of other servers which i can not really do. I can make the change for a couple of seconds and test but then need to change it back.

Any help is greatfully received

Thanks

Gareth Collins

- Advertisement -