Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Scheduled Job Does not show complete

Author  Topic 

wd7179
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-15 : 07:54:47
I have a scheduled DTS Package that runs everyday, the package simply imports data from a Teradata source, and then performs some procedures to slice up the data. When it finishes the package sends me an email using the xp_smtp_sendmail stored procedure ran inside of an execute sql step. The job steps all complete, but the job never shows as complete in Enterprise Manager, and I have to constantly cancel it so it will run the next day. When I look at the package logs, they show a completion time for every step, but the msdb tables do not show a final step completion time. I have researched this issue, and found a MS article that addresses something about main threads, but this occurs even if I set all the steps in the package to run on the main package thread. Has anyone had this problem, or have any ideas what might be causing it?

rlaubert
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-16 : 12:00:33
This could be a problem with xp_smtp_sendmail. Do you receive the email stating the job status? If this is the last step and sql is waiting for a response it will hang until the response is recieved. Try removing the notification email and see what happens

Raymond Laubert
MCDBA, MCITP:Administration, MCT
Go to Top of Page

wd7179
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 2007-03-21 : 11:48:28
Yes, I get the email, and it writes to the MSDB tables as completed. I thought the same thing, so what I did was add a step after the email, just a dummy ActiveX Scirpt Task. That step shows completed too, but it still doesn't write back to MSDB to show the whole job as completed.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -