SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Alias yes or no for Performance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  05:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockmoose
PS. nice quote mvj , could not google it though..

http://www.amazon.com/Quote-Verifier-Said-What-Where/dp/product-description/0312340044

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman
Flowing Fount of Yak Knowledge

USA
2365 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MutantNinjaLoungeSinger

For what it's worth, I completely agree with blindman and all of the points he's making.

What a great way to start off your very first sqlteam.com post!

quote:

His viewpoints and practices are much more responsible from a much higher perspective than many developers/DBAs can comprehend.

Wait a moment while I insert you into my "FriendsForLife" table...

OK. I'm back now.

quote:

So, short of writing elaborate documentation before you leave (which well-expressive code would provide anyway), you will get a phone call on your vacation if something goes wrong. That call can be completely avoided by coding in a way that is expressive and self documenting, and discourages looking back-and-forth between what you're aliasing, and what it means.

Hmmm...my code doesn't go wrong, but I'll take your word on this.

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

MutantNinjaLoungeSinger
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, blindman, you got support!!!

I love your sig MNLS , but al(i)as I don't buy into the approach of spelling out every letter.

Thanks. Of course, I don't buy into spelling out every letter either. As long as what you're not spelling out entirely is meaningful beyond your own thought-process. And of course, as I've stated before, if it's your own stuff, and no one else has to worry about it, do whatever you like. If your code/sql script is co-owned by a team, be courteous through clear expression.

quote:

What a great way to start off your very first sqlteam.com post!

Someone had to acknowledge that your theories aren't total crap. I typically don't bother participating in forums, but I had 30 minutes of down time while a stored procedure that was crucial to an application I maintain was being debugged. Ironically, most of the time spent was the DBA trying to decipher his own terse aliases to work on a bug. I'm just glad he wasn't on vacation.

quote:

Sayre’s Law: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue"
Wallace S. Sayre

Fair enough, as this might be considered a "religious" debate worthy enough of Sayre's intervention.

But here's another one for you..

"It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

quote:

Wait a moment while I insert you into my "FriendsForLife" table...

OK. I'm back now.

Yay! Officially one record in the table now?? :)

quote:

Hmmm...my code doesn't go wrong, but I'll take your word on this.

heh... I guess even correct code needs to be "modified and upgraded" once in awhile.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  14:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, did the blind dude create a 2nd account?

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!
http://www.frappr.com/sqlteam

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  15:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
...Fair enough, as this might be considered a "religious" debate worthy enough of Sayre's intervention.

But here's another one for you..

"It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong."
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I'm not sure how that applies. In this case, it's what is "right" that is the center of the dispute.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman

USA
2365 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  18:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

Professional jealousy, joisey-buoy?

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

MutantNinjaLoungeSinger
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure how that applies. In this case, it's what is "right" that is the center of the dispute.

That was sort of the point.
In context of applications/sql scripts/sprocs/etc... anything that requires team co-ownership and is prone to change, and (unless you're blindman) breakage, it's important for the implementation to be self-explanatory enough for maintenance. Anything less than that is not the "right" way.

If I have to sit down with someone and explain to them what the code/query is doing because I lacked any sort of expression in writing it, I have not written it in the "right" way that's sensitive to this very common occurence. At this point, I've lost the benefit of team co-ownership, and I might as well fix the bug and any future issues with the procedure on my own rather than allowing someone else to inherit it.

Admittedly, it's a stretch, but not any more of a stretch than comparing preferences/best practices to religion.

quote:

hehe... interesting assessment. By that logic, everyone else with the opposing viewpoint is also the same person, right? :)

Edited by - MutantNinjaLoungeSinger on 04/10/2007 14:26:25
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  14:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That was sort of the point.
In context of applications/sql scripts/sprocs/etc... anything that requires team co-ownership and is prone to change, and (unless you're blindman) breakage, it's important for the implementation to be self-explanatory enough for maintenance. Anything less than that is not the "right" way.

If I have to sit down with someone and explain to them what the code/query is doing because I lacked any sort of expression in writing it, I have not written it in the "right" way that's sensitive to this very common occurence. At this point, I've lost the benefit of team co-ownership, and I might as well fix the bug and any future issues with the procedure on my own rather than allowing someone else to inherit it.

Admittedly, it's a stretch, but not any more of a stretch than comparing preferences/best practices to religion.

Well, it is a stretch, especially since I did not compare preferences/best practices to religion. The quote I posted from Sayre is not about religion either, but is about intensity of feeling on trivial subjects.

Certainly, what is "right" is in dispute in this case, even if it isn’t in your mind.

Personally, I have no strong opinion on the subject, because I think both approaches actually work and each has both advantages and disadvantages.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If I have to sit down with someone and explain to them what the code/query is doing because I lacked any sort of expression in writing it, I have not written it in the "right" way that's sensitive to this very common occurence"

That's a good "acid test". I can't remember the last time I had to do that ...

.. sure, I get "I've looked at X and it seems to be doing Y, is there a good reason why its doing that" and I say "Yeah, because of Z" and the developer say "Oh, OK, that makes sense".

But its a useful sanity check that our Naming conventions, Coding style, Peer-training (sure, if we were Big Corp I would be saying "In house training regime" [add your own fist-full of buzz-words!], but as it happens I don't report to anyone else for my annual review ) are working to achieve a pretty-good minimal-downtime code-review scenario. So I reckon our self-documenting code-standards are working OK!

That's quite a lot of hyphenated words I've generated there. I hope I'm not getting grammar-lax!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

MutantNinjaLoungeSinger
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it is a stretch, especially since I did not compare preferences/best practices to religion. The quote I posted from Sayre is not about religion either, but is about intensity of feeling on trivial subjects.

Sayre was a fairly outspoken critic of how religion affects people's feelings and emotions. I assumed you were comparing this to a religious debate (which to a certain extent, it *could* be compared to one) since you used one of his quotes.

I stand corrected if that wasn't your intention.

Edited by - MutantNinjaLoungeSinger on 04/10/2007 15:11:29
Go to Top of Page

MutantNinjaLoungeSinger
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's a good "acid test". I can't remember the last time I had to do that ...

Usually if I write something that's not maintainable, I'm accused of being ON acid when I wrote it. So I guess that applies here :)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sayre was a fairly outspoken critic of how religion affects people's feelings and emotions. I assumed you were comparing this to a religious debate (which to a certain extent, it *could* be compared to one) since you used one of his quotes.

I stand corrected if that wasn't your intention.

Perhaps I shouldn't have edited out the end his quote; he was talking about academic politics.
Sayre’s Law: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the stakes at issue—that is why academic politics are so bitter."

He is also quoted as saying "The politics of the university are so intense because the stakes are so low."

http://www.amazon.com/Quote-Verifier-Said-What-Where/dp/product-description/0312340044

CODO ERGO SUM

Edited by - Michael Valentine Jones on 04/10/2007 16:22:07
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
29910 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:51:31  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Care to move this discussion to the YAK Corral?

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22403 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  16:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"if I write something that's not maintainable, I'm accused of being ON acid"

"Man, are you on ACID? That is so ATOMic ..." !!
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

Singapore
17430 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  18:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peso

Care to move this discussion to the YAK Corral?

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden

YAK corral ? But these are serious heavy stuff.

KH

Go to Top of Page

SQLUSA
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  19:46:58  Show Profile  Visit SQLUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alias does not have anything to do with performance.

Same for schemas in SQL Server 2005.

If you guys/gals think of performance, think INDEXES, think DISK!

Think MEMORY! Think CPU-s.

Think BAD code!

Kalman Toth, Database, DW & BI Architect
SQL Server 2005 Training - http://www.sqlusa.com
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones

USA
7020 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  23:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SQLUSA

Think BAD code!

Thanks for the SPAM.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman

USA
2365 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SQLUSA

Think BAD code!

I feel enlightened now. How 'bout the rest of you?

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

USA
2884 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:55:56  Show Profile  Visit jezemine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
he's really given me a lot to THINK about!

www.elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

Sweden
29910 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Visit SwePeso's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am really thinking hard, of all the things he mentions, but nothing happens...

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000