Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Novice user needs help on 2000 backup restoration

Author  Topic 

rajkumarrai_bis
Yak Posting Veteran

78 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 00:09:05
Hi,
I am taking backup of a TEST DB on 2000 server.
but when i try to restore it over on another 2000 server using enterprise manager restoration facility it gives me error that i should use it with move command.
i m certain that i followed the same route in SQL server 7.0 and it worked.Is it something new in 2000 that right click on db and choosing backup or restore from all tasks does not work anymore.
please give me some hint.
thanks in advance.

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 04:31:53
This may help you.

courtesy Books online:

quote:
Moving the Database Files
If the files within the database backup cannot be restored onto the destination computer because of the reasons mentioned earlier, it is necessary to move the files to a new location as they are being restored. For example:

It may be necessary to restore some of the database files in the backup to a different drive because of capacity considerations. This is likely to be a common occurrence because most computers within an organization do not have the same number and size of disk drives or identical software configurations.

It may be necessary to create a copy of an existing database on the same computer for testing purposes. In this case, the database files for the original database already exist, so different file names need to be specified when the database copy is created during the restore operation.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

rajkumarrai_bis
Yak Posting Veteran

78 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 08:44:29
Thanks harsh,

are you telling me that i should install the server on which i m restoring the database on another drive.
if not then please explain the steps.

thanks for the cooperation.
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 09:01:22
1. Check whether files with same name as database file, already exist in the restore location.
2. Check whether the restore location (path) physically exists on the server.
3. If it is mapped location, make sure same mapping exists on the destination server.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 15:59:05
If db file path on target server is different from that on source server, you need to change file path first.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -