Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Data help

Author  Topic 

sqldba2k6
Posting Yak Master

176 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-09 : 22:43:50
I was told to design the data flow for the below sceniario..
We have Branch offices in different locations which will uses an application to create the raw data to flat file.Which BO(Branch office) in turn send the flat files (.csv) to our head office.

What is the best way to provide the data access to branches after cleansing the raw data from the flat files, and also BO will run the reports and also they have to send the flat files to the head office..

Could you please help me in the best possible ways to resolve it.

I have a solution creating the dts package at BO which will cleanse the data and dump the data into sqlserver..
Again write a query to generate the .csv file and send the same file to HO where they will create the centralize db..for all the branch data files...

blindman
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2365 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-10 : 09:47:33
I don't understand specifically what you are asking.

How to generate a CSV file?
How to transfer a CSV file?
How to load a CSV file?

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

readysetstop
Posting Yak Master

123 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-11 : 07:11:15
If the data needs 'cleansing' before loading into SQL (which should only have to be done once, IMHO), I would say the first problem lies with the application that's generating the data. Is this an in-house app or third party? If possible, I'd fix the app first so that it generates good data. Dumping this into SQL via DTS so you can clean it up, and then back out to a CSV file, just so you can dump it back into SQL somewhere else seems needless to me. You should only have to import once, at the HO.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -