Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 sql restarts

Author  Topic 

subotai
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 15:51:07
I am new to ms sql server, so here's my question...

A customer's server that has ms sql says that their sql database restarts several times a day, and they thought there was some setting that you can set to change this behavior. They prefer the database to never restart.

I tried to find information doing some google searches, but was unsuccessful.

This is a windows 2003 server running ms sql 2000. I believe the ms sql 2000 is up to date on any patches (but not 100% certain). The windows 2003 server is kept up to date on patches.

Any insights on this?

Scott

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 15:53:13
Have a look at the Windows logs.
What do they say, just prior to SQL Server restart?
What do SQL Server logs day, prior to restart?

Peter Larsson
Helsingborg, Sweden
Go to Top of Page

dinakar
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2507 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 15:59:21
Disable auto-patching. Most patches require reboot...then I would think most 'shutdowns' require a confirmation from the user..so someone must be sitting there and clicking yes on "are you sure you want to reboot". And its a windows 2003 server. So unless the user provides a "comment" on the reboot window it doesnt reboot.

Other than that as Peter mentioned look into the logs..

Life is short. Enjoy it.
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dinakar/
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 16:44:59
What does "sql database restarts" mean?

Is the server rebooting? Is SQL Server only going down?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

subotai
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-14 : 10:59:11
Thanks for the replies. When I asked the customer how often these restarts happen, he responded throughout the day 5 or 6 times. I believe this is just the sql database, not the server.

However, the server does have some other problems. It crashes every now and then, requiring a hard reset to restart. This issue has been determined to be a known issue that there is a hotfix for, but the customer is thinking of waiting for a regular patch update to come out for it.

At the time of writing this post, the server is not responding, so it is probably down right now. I'll have to check server and sql logs once it is back up to see what I can find there.

Hopefully I can provide some better details soon.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-14 : 19:42:15
Does the server have enough memory?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -