Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 creating database and users

Author  Topic 

rwani
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 16:23:34
Ok I just installed SQl 2005 for the very first time. I used a service account(domain admin)and Windows NT authentication to install SQL.

Now I am setting up Mcafee EPO on a different server. This application can either install MSDE or use a sql database. I want to use my new SQL server.

What are the best practices to :
a)create database on SQL
b)create a user
c)what permissions to give this user

For example during installation of Mcafee EPO it is asking me name of the remote SQL server, authentication method(Windows or SQL)and the user account.

I am starting to read about SQL but need some quick answers. I need to do the same thing for my SMS 2003 installation. Thanks.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 16:42:16
Windows authentication is preferred for security reasons. Your installation of McAfee EPO should handle everything else.

Tara Kizer
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

rwani
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 16:54:17
so when installing epo server..i choose NT authentication and give the service account I used to install SQL in first place. Note that this service account has domain admin rights. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 16:56:58
For ePO, that service account needs dbo rights in the db. When install ePO, it needs sysadmin but you can remove it from sysadmin once done with installation.
Go to Top of Page

rwani
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-12 : 17:49:45
Ok so I will:

1. Create a new Login lets say svc-epo in SQL
2. Create a new database lets say EPO
3. In EPO database create a new user and make it a dbo
4. When install epo agent use windows auth and svc-epo for username and password.

Maybe I need to read more ):
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -