Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Creating New Job Fails Every Time '05 sp2

Author  Topic 

TallOne
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 15:16:29
Hi everyone. My client just updated to SQL Server 2005 SP2. I need to create a job on the server that executes a local exe. But I get error message trying to add a job...any job! I generated the script for the job and copied to the server and it created a skeleton job without my steps! Here is a detailed message I get anytime I try to add a job. I've googled this and haven't found anything helps.

Thanks In Advance.
===================================

Unable to cast object of type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectKey' to type 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobObjectKey'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Agent.JobCollection.GetObjectByKey(ObjectKeyBase key)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.SimpleObjectCollectionBase.Contains(String name)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobData.JobExists(String jobName)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobData.ApplyChanges()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlManagerUI.JobPropertySheet.DoPreProcessExecution(RunType runType, ExecutionMode& executionResult)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.SqlMgmtTreeViewControl.DoPreProcessExecutionAndRunViews(RunType runType)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.SqlMgmtTreeViewControl.ExecuteForSql(PreProcessExecutionInfo executionInfo, ExecutionMode& executionResult)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.SqlMgmtTreeViewControl.Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.IExecutionAwareSqlControlCollection.PreProcessExecution(PreProcessExecutionInfo executionInfo, ExecutionMode& executionResult)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlMgmt.ViewSwitcherControlsManager.RunNow(RunType runType, Object sender)

TallOne
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 15:21:28
I get the error when I try to create manually in SSMS or script. It doesn't matter what category it is either. I just tried one that runs a simple update query...no dice!
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 15:31:15
Did you create job from client machine or on server directly? Applied sp2 on client machine? Does sql login used have proper permission?
Go to Top of Page

TallOne
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 15:36:58
I'm connecting to a machine on the network using SSMS Client tools and windows authentication with admin. Here is the version info.

SERVER:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3042.00 (Intel X86) Feb 9 2007 22:47:07 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

CLIENT:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1406.00 (Intel X86) Mar 3 2007 18:40:02 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 4)
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 16:17:29
maybe you need to install the SP on your client machine.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

saglamtimur
Yak Posting Veteran

91 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 16:43:11
I dont know if it'll solve your problem but try to update your SP2s , actually download again and reinstall. Because MS has fixed some problems on SP2 an named SP2 again, may be SP2a would be correct, but didnt changed. Anyway, if you apply new sp2, your version info will be 9.00.3054
Go to Top of Page

TallOne
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-23 : 17:23:02
I'll get the sp's installed tomorrow and let you guys know. Thanks VERY much for the input!

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

TomCruise
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-02 : 12:13:18
I found this that helped me on another forum.

Tom
-------------------------------------------

Here's what I did to get it to work.

On our SQL Server 2005 development machine, we did install SP2

however, that doesn't solve the problem because the problem lies in scheduling your job using Management Studio through your local machine. If you logged onto your SQL 2005 server that has SP2, you should be able to schedule from there. But it's through Management Studio, which I'm guessing most of you are trying to create a job schedule for your packages. Usually, people don't think of upgrading their client tools as well.

I verified this by upgrading my local machine to SP2 for the client tools and was able to successfully schedule. You might also need to upgrade your server machine to SP2 to work as well.

I hope this helps.

-SX
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -