Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 need urgent help on sql lite speed

Author  Topic 

rajkumarrai_bis
Yak Posting Veteran

78 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-25 : 12:17:17
I am using sql lite speed
when i try to take backup using it .i get following error

Get configuration error: x80770004

once we restarted sql service and it worked fine for few hours
but now it is again showing above error
need urgent help

thanks in advance

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-04-25 : 13:07:13
We've been running SQL Litespeed for a few years now. I have never had any problems with it. I'm not familiar with that error.

I'd suggest running the xp_backup_database stored procedure in Query Analyzer to see if you can get more information. Otherwise, contact the vendor.

Tara Kizer
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sqladmin
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2007-05-11 : 14:26:57
Memory fragmentation on SQL Server.

This error can occur either on backup or restore and this is related to the memory available to run the requested task.
Resolution

1. LiteSpeed versions 4.0.85 and below had a problem with a memory leak which could potentially cause such an error. This bug was fixed in version 4.5. It is recommended that LiteSpeed be upgraded to the latest version. The latest version of LiteSpeed can be downloaded at: http://support.quest.com/support_download/Downloads.asp.

2. This error may be caused by sending large chunks of data over to your backup destination. Add the parameter @maxtransfersize to the LiteSpeed backup scripts or set the option within the LiteSpeed Backup options available from the Enterprise Console. If nothing is selected for this option the default value is 1Mb (1048576 bytes).

Add the @maxtransfersize parameter to the backup and reducing the size to 500Kb (512000), then perform the backup again.

3. The other parameter that has been used in conjunction with the MaxTransferSize parameter has been the Threads parameter. By default this is set to 3. Add the parameter @threads to the backup script and reduce it to 1. The best results have been found using 2-3 on a multi-processor environment. This parameter is available within the LiteSpeed Backup options from the Enterprise Console.

4. SQL Server's MemToLeave area becoming fragmented so that there is insufficient contiguous space to allocate the buffers required for the backups. Microsoft's suggestion to resolving the issue is to use the start-up parameter '-g' with SQL Server. The '-g' parameter can be set in Enterprise Manager by right-clicking on the server, selecting 'Properties' and clicking on the Start-Up parameters button at the bottom of the properties window. The default -g setting is 128Mb. It is recommended that -g256 is used, if this does not resolve the issue increase the value to -g512. Changing these settings does require SQL Server to be restarted for the changes to take affect and in production environments this is not always possible.

5. NT Fibers work best when the server has multiple CPUs and a relatively low user to CPU ratio. For example, on an Enterprise installation with 32 CPUs and 250 users, you may see a noticeable performance boost with fibers. But when you have eight CPUs and 5000 users, you may see performance decrease with fibers. LightWeight Pooling is an advanced option. Sp_configure system stored procedure allows verification as well as a change to system settings in SQL Server 2000 and 2005. Note, for a change to this setting to take effect requires a restart SQL Server services

To figure out the contiguous transfer size set up currently run the command XP_MEMORY_SIZE from within Query Analyzer. This should change if the -g setting is implemented.

NOTE: SQL Server 7.0 Service Pack 2 users: The -g parameter is documented in the Readme.txt of the SQL Server 7.0 service pack, and in SQL Server 2000 Books Online.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -