Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Operating System Error 5(Access Denied)

Author  Topic 

wellmanr
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-16 : 11:00:41
I am an intern working with two SQL Server 2005 instances on two Windows Server 2003. The servers are linked via crossover. I am using this setup to practice my log shipping before I move to the production databases. I am using the wizard to complete the log shipping. The primary server SQLCOM1 is to backup and restore the DB on the secondary server SQLCOM2\SQL_Data using the default folders after the restore. SQLCOM2\SQL_Data has been shared and I have permissions for most of the default SQL groups as well as a user 'connect' and the local admin. When I go to execute the log shipping it throws the following:

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\SQLCOM2\SQL_Data\AdventureWorks.bak' failed to create. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

I am working with SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition SP1. (SP1 to replicate the production servers.)

Thanks for any help,
Ryan

SQL - Why are you so much trouble?

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-16 : 11:12:35
Sounds like the account you are using doesn't have permission on \\SQLCOM2\SQL_Data\ to create the file.

If you are able try making accounts admin on that server until you find out which one it is then you can find what permissions it really needs.
I would try the sql server service account first.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

wellmanr
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-16 : 11:27:38
I keep reading in forums that the "sql server service account" needs to be changed but I am not sure where to change it at.

Additional info:

I am logged in as Administrator on both machines.
The Share Permissions has the following groups or user names:
Administrator(SQLCOM2\Administrator)
connect(SQLCOM2\connect)
Everyone
NETWORK
NETWORK SERVICE
Remote Desktop Users(SQLCOM2\Remote Desktop User)
SERVICE
SQLServer2005MSFTEUser$SQLCOM2$MSSQLSERVER
SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$SQLCOM2$MSSQLSERVER
SQLServer2005AgentUser$SQLCOM2$MSSQLSERVER
SYSTEM

Each of these users\groups has full control permissions.

Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-16 : 13:13:21
You can change it in sql server configuration manager.
Go to Top of Page

wellmanr
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-16 : 13:21:18
Sweet!

I changed the "log on as" to .\Administrator for SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) and SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER). In the SQL Server Configuration Manager and ran the Log Shipping wizard and all is well!

Thank you very much.
Ryan

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -