Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 create view within a stored procedure

Author  Topic 

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 08:48:38
hi,

Im am wandering if it is possible to create two views in two different tables from within the same stored proc:ex
create proc myProc
as
use [myDb1]
go
create view myV1
as
select * from mytable
go
use [myDb2]
go
create view myV2
as
select * from mytable
go

go
---
of course the go's are not allowed in a sproc, the create statement must be the first of a query batch and a vew can not have the databaase name preapended like when creating a table plus one can not use the "use" word in a proc, I tried using exec to bypass the "first statement in a batch" and go restrictions but have not been able to overcome the "use [myDb]" restriction, is there a way to solve this problem?

thank you

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 08:57:00
you can use dynamic sql and Exec()

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 08:57:15
Prefix view with db name.

Exec('Create View [myDb1].dbo.myv1
as
....')

But why you want to create view inside a stored proc?

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 09:18:51
ha,spirit,
thats what ive been trying to do but
when i use exec and preapend the name of the database I get the following message:
"'CREATE/ALTER VIEW' does not allow specifying the database name as a prefix to the object name."

the stored procedure generates dimension tables for further use in analysis server, some are views

thank you
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 09:40:20
exec(' use yourDBName; go; create view ....')

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 09:50:59
spirit, I get the following message when using:
exec(' use [myDb]; go; create view dimDates_1 as select * from [myDb].dbo.dimDates')

--------
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near 'go'.
Msg 111, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.

-------
thank you
Go to Top of Page

rudesyle
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 09:53:31
This sounds crazy. If you're doing it so you can query it a couple of times within the stored proc, then I'd think you'd be much better off inserting data into a table variable or temp table, and querying off of it.

But then again, why not make the view a permanent object?
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 09:58:37
its not a temp object rud. its a permanent object, I will use the views produced in analysis services, I could easily accomplish this by simply crating tables since they allow me to preapend the target database name, but I want these specifically to be views because they can all be derived easily from a single underlying table,

thank you
Go to Top of Page

khtan
In (Som, Ni, Yak)

17689 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:01:08
Since it is a permanent object can't you create the view before hand ? Must you do it in a stored procedure ? What if the stored procedure is run twice ?

KH

Go to Top of Page

sshelper
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:06:54
Another work around to create a view on another database is to use the sp_executesql but with the database name included with it:

EXEC myDb1..sp_executesql N'CREATE VIEW myView1 AS ...'

SQL Server Helper
http://www.sql-server-helper.com
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:08:19
k, I could create beforehand but I want to reduce the number of steps in my overall script to the minimum, also I would like to wrap all my code into stored procedures, why should I need
---
create object myPermanentObject
create proc myProc doSomething...
---
when I can have
--
create proc myProc create object myPermanentObject; doSomething...
------
in this way, all my scripts reside in stored procedures so I can easily schedule them in a job, instead of having to write down sql code in the job scheduler or open the file everytime I need to run a script

thank you
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:16:44
ssh:

thank you the

EXEC myDb1..sp_executesql N'CREATE VIEW myView1 AS ...'

worked!! problem solved
Go to Top of Page

rudesyle
Posting Yak Master

110 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:23:12
Sorry, but this kind of maintenance task should not reside in a stored proc. You should keep in a .sql file. The purpose of a stored proc is to encapsulate reusable code.
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2007-05-21 : 10:34:08
Rude, when you say "should not", according to what standard? I agree in the reusability part but what about the handling and automation part, isnt it easier to schedule stored procedures than .sql files? also I can allways call this proc frfom a another proc in a simple way, why do you think I should stick to your statement at all times?

"this kind of maintenance task should not reside in a stored proc"

thank you
Go to Top of Page

WyldOne
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-22 : 19:04:29
Yes, you can.

create proc someProc ()
as
begin
declare @sql nvarchar(4000)
declare @db sysname
select @sb = '[myDb1]'
select @sql = 'exec '+@db+'.dbo.sp_executesql(''create view myV1 as select * from mytable'' ) '
print( @sql )
exec( @sql )

select @sb = '[myDb2]'
select @sql = 'exec '+@db+'.dbo.sp_executesql(''create view myV2 as select * from mytable'' ) '
print( @sql )
exec( @sql )
end
go

As to why I want to do this? Easy, I'm lazy when it some to creating several zillion objects by hand. I create one sp-* to do hold the code and have it create _IDENTICAL_ code in every database I wnat it to be in. I make one change run the sp_ and viola all the procedures are updated. I also use it to do the _endless_ amount of grants etc I need as well.

Works for functions, stored procedures, bulkloads, etc.

Nuff said. Enjoy
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-23 : 03:24:20
In any case, read this fully
www,sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

glinoff
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-25 : 17:37:37
I have found this thread very useful, and especially the reference to http://www.sommarskog.se/dynamic_sql.html.

However, when I try to implement the solutions, I have one problem. I can create views in a procedure using sp_executesql without paramters With parameters, I get a syntax error at the "view" statement.
Does anyone know why using parameters would make a difference?

--gordon
Go to Top of Page

heze
Posting Yak Master

192 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-25 : 23:28:21
It shouldn't make a difference, please post your code.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-26 : 08:38:51
whats the purpose of creating view within procedure in first place?
Go to Top of Page

glinoff
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-26 : 09:42:25
This is a reply to visakh16, because this issue seems to come up repeatedly. Currently, the code that I'm using is rather complicated. I will try to simplify it and then post it here.

I use SQL extensively for querying databases for analytic purposes. In general, I tend to avoid anything that is not reasonably transportable between databases or that interfere with optimization -- for example, stored procedures, and cursors.

However, now I am trying to make some SQL code more generic, so I have to succumb to temptations. I have some code that performs a particular task; this task requires multiple queries and multiple temporary tables. The generic code still needs to interface to data tables. I want this interface to be as localized as possible so I can easily change it (or change it using parameters); hence the desire for views.

For instance, I want to specify one of several columns as a dimension from the original data. A view makes this easy:

CREATE VIEW dimview AS
SELECT column1 as dim
FROM usertable
;

The rest of my code can then use the column "dim1", as it performs merrily along. Then, if I want to change the column being used, I just drop the view and define it again with another column. Same thing if I want to change data tables or databases. Note that the names of the columns themselves depend on the underlying data tables, so I cannot even use a case statement for specifying the dimensions. The only method that I've found for solving this is to create a view within a stored procedure. Then, that procedure and other procedures can access the data in the way I need it to be accessed.

--gordon
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2009-01-26 : 10:06:23
why cant you use derived tables instead?
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -