Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Finding SQL Servers running on a network

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-08-15 : 21:33:37
Jerald writes "Dear SQL Team, I am working on SQL Server 7 and also on SQL 2000. Now our company has many SQL Servers running on the Network and also in different domains. Now is there a way where I can find out which SQL Servers are currently running on the Network and list them in the Front end (using VB, to display the list of servers avalible in a combo)"

Article Link.

vrbhatt
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-10 : 10:55:37
I need to List all the SQL Servers on the network programatically in .NET.

I am able to so it using .listSQL.....

But I need to install the application at clients place and "oSQLApp.ListAvailableSQLServers()" requires SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 2/3 which can be done only if SQL Server is installed on the client's machine [which is not feasible I think].

Can U please help me out in this matter.

Thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-10 : 12:57:19
I wouldn't think that doing this in an application would be a wise idea. Scanning the network for this can be very slow.

Installing SQL Server on the client's machine would require licenses for each client. I doubt that you want to go down that route.

I would recommend against doing this in your application.

You could always use the scan utility that MS has:

[url]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9552d43b-04eb-4af9-9e24-6cde4d933600&displaylang=en[/url]

I have used this utility before so that we can find unlicensed servers and uninstall them. It was very, very slow though. It is not something that you want to bundle in an application. I'm not even sure that you would be allowed to do this anyway.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

vrbhatt
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-11 : 06:18:27
Thanks for the link.

Did you mean SQL Scan (Sqlscan.exe) for the purpose.

I didn't understand the following :
Instances of SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) and security patch MS02-039, MS02-043, MS02-056, or MS02-061, or instances with SP3 or later, are not vulnerable. Computers running SQL Server 7.0 and earlier are not vulnerable.

Thanks for help.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-13 : 12:20:18
SQLScan is what you want. It is used to detect vulnerabilities (slammer worm) on the network, but it also identifies instances. The statement that you quoted is just saying that if the instances have SP2 with the security patches or SP3 or later, then they are not vulnerable to the slammer worm. You don't need to worry about this one, unless you are checking for vulnerabilities. You just care about finding the instances, which this utility will do as well. (at least that's what I remember when I ran it last time)

Tara
Go to Top of Page

vrbhatt
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-04 : 04:21:11
Thanks buddy. The scan exe worked.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -