Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL DB Recovery

Author  Topic 

kerrycorcoran
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 10:47:18
Please help!

Windows Server 2003 SE
SQL 2000 w/ 4
Veritas Netbackup 5.1 w/ MP5 (for backup/recovery)

Sometimes, not always, when I attempt to recovery a database I will follow the process of restoring the DB and it will complete with a status of successful. However when I attempt to view the DB in Enterprise Manager it states (loading) next to the DB - and never finishes.

As I said, this doesn't happen all the time, but of course when it happens I only know to start over, rebuild everything and go through the recovery process again. I am sure this is something simple.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in regards to SQL.

Any insight greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 10:59:26
"view the DB in Enterprise Manager it states (loading) "

I presume you are trying REFRESH (i.e. right-click the database, choose REFRESH) a few times in E.M. before assuming it didn't work?

I loathe Veritas for SQL backups. And I'm not alone in these parts!

backup SQL database to a disk file. Get Veritas to back up the file to tape. Much more reliable than getting Veritas to backup the database directly to tape.

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

kerrycorcoran
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 11:13:09
Kristen,

Yes, I have clicked refresh a few times; still loading.

I am can certainly entertain the idea of using SQL to backup to file/disk and have Veritas backup the file, however I need to recover this first.

Aprreciate any help! I am down right now.

Thanks,
Kerry
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 11:24:24
I don't know diddly-squat about Veritsa, so sorry for naive questions.

Can you recover from Tape to a File first, and then try recovering the file? On SQL 2005 there is some ability to test a backup file for integrity.

Recovering on another machine is an option too. Do you have an identical tape deck on a different machine (in case the tape can be read better on the other machine's tape drive)

Enough disk space for the recovery to complete?

Is it attempting to do a recovery and THEN recover some more (e.g. DIFF or TLog files)?

(There is a recovery setting to NOT put the database live, which allows you to subsequently recover one, or more, TLog backups and THEN put it live)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

kerrycorcoran
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 12:11:49
Kristen,

Not so sure this issue is being caused by Veritas. Again, not an expert with SQL, so I could be way off.

But Veritas will complete the restore and reply successful, yet when I opem EM I see the loading message.

This stinks!
Kerry
Go to Top of Page

blindman
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2365 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 13:19:10
Agreed on Veritas. I've seen too many customers who THOUGHT they were getting nightly backups, but in reality did not have recoverability.
Use SQL Server tools to backup to dump databases and logs to files, and then use Veritas to archive those files.

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 13:22:44
What kind of restore options does Veritas have? Did it restore db to usable status (not with norecovery nor standby option)?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 14:12:53
Good point!

See if database can be put "live". After Veritas has finished try:

RESTORE DATABASE MyDatabase RECOVERY

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

kerrycorcoran
Starting Member

38 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 14:45:01
Everyone thanks for your insight. Was able to get this resolved by using the information you had given. The issue was caused by the Recovery setting ; i had inadvertantly set it to NOT RECOVERED. I changed this setting to RECOVERED and all is well!

Thank you very much!

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -