Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 Linked Server Issues

Author  Topic 

jimkiely
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 13:57:16
I have created a link server under Server Objects. The critiria is correct and is exactly the same as another user. Something must be misconfigured or not installed because I get the following error. Any ideas?

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

SQL Network Interfaces: Error getting enabled protocols list from registry [xFFFFFFFF].
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "AP312K" returned message "Login timeout expired".
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "AP312K" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 65535)

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 14:33:23
Can you connect to that server from sql client machine with sql tools?
Go to Top of Page

jimkiely
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 14:39:06
Let just say the server name is "A", I can connect to Server "A" using sql server management studio, with no problems. We use a group username and password for secutity, no windows authentication. I'm trying to create a linked server from my localhost to Server "A".
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 15:06:43
Did you specify correct instance name when creating linked server? How did you map user to sql login on server a? Is sql server browser service running on server a?
Go to Top of Page

jimkiely
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 15:10:03
Yes and yes. I've even had another user generate a script to connect to the link server and tried using the script to create the linked server and it still doesn't work. Other users can do this but I can't.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 15:21:46
Does you machine have same sql2k5 sp as on server a?
Go to Top of Page

jimkiely
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 06:43:28
Are you talking about the Master or msdb stored procedures? If so I will check into that.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 15:06:27
No, talking about service pack.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -