Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Other SQL Server Topics (2005)
 insert data to MSSQL within trigger from Oracle

Author  Topic 

HC@ZZF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 20:13:33
I created a link from Oracle to SQL server.
There is a trigger with insert statment in Oracle side.
I got error message as follow when trigger is invoked:

SQL> insert into test1 values ('zerbra','brazi');
insert into test1 values ('zerbra','brazi')
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02047: cannot join the distributed transaction in progress
ORA-06512: at "GGWEB.TRIGGER2", line 4
ORA-04088: error during execution of trigger 'GGWEB.TRIGGER2'

my simple trigger is as follows:
create or replace
TRIGGER TESTRI
AFTER INSERT ON TEST1
FOR EACH ROW
BEGIN
insert into test1@sqlserver (city,state) values ('what','nine');

END;

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-14 : 20:52:00
Is it Oracle issue?
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 04:11:05
this is wrong........ WRONG!!!

even if it worked this has the potential to slow down your system a lot.

put those insert into a separate table in your oracle database and periodicaly import them to sql server.

HC@ZZF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 11:44:56

can you tell how to import to SQL from Oracle priodically and automatically? Thanks!

-Henry
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 11:49:14
one way i can think of is to export data to txt files nad import that to sql.
other is to have a job on sql that connects to oracle and uses openquery to connect to oracla and imporets that.
yet another is to use a SSIS package for transfer.

maybe oracle has more options but i have no idea about that.

jezemine
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2886 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-15 : 12:38:00
if you do decide to implement this trigger, you should also have your trigger pop a messagebox asking the user to confirm that they indeed do want the rows moved over to sql server.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-18 : 04:51:26
"other is to have a job on sql that connects to oracle and uses openquery to connect to oracle and imports that."

This is what we do:

Our client have, for example, an Oracle database; a SQL Server local to the Oracle server [i.e. on the same LAN], and a Remote SQL Server ([e.g. at their ISP].

We want to transfer changes to Product and Price table (and a bunch of others too - Orders, Customers, you get the picture!)

We have a Stored Procedure on Local-SQL-Server that queries Oracle-Server. Luckily the Oracle database has a "Changed Date" on all tables. So we "pull" all rows from Oracle with a change-date more recent that the most recent record we have.

We store the changed rows in "Staging" tables on the Local-SQL_Server. We only store the columns we are interested in (for us this is not all the columns in the Oracle table). We only Update the Local-SQL-Server table if there is a difference in the Columns we are actually storing - so the fact that it has a new Changed Date in Oracle doesn't necessarily mean it actually causes an Update on Local-SQL-Server.

We have our own Changed Date on the Staging tables on Local-SQL-Server, and we update that whenever we Update a record from Oracle. And we use that date to make the Update to the Web site.

We schedule a task on Local-SQL-Server to call the Stored Procedure that "Pulls" data from Oracle, and then it calls an Sproc on Remote-SQL-Server which basically does the same thing, it pulls data from Local-SQL-Server and stored into staging tables on Remote-SQL-Server.

Local-SQL-Server and Remote-SQL-Server have identical table structures for the staging tables - so we can just transfer EVERYTHING that has a newer Changed Date on Local-SQL-Server. (The Bandwidth from Local to Remote is much less than locally, so this route means that we transfer the minimum across our low-bandwidth route).

The procedure at the Remote-SQL-Server Pulls the data from Local-SQL-Server, as I mentioned, into Staging tables, and then deals with the update of the actual tables on the Remote-SQL-Server. This is the stage at which we "convert" the data from the schema on the Oracle database to match our own schema.

The queries between the various servers are done from the "pulling" end, and using OPENQUERY()

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -