Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 check the time when trunsaction log was truncated

Author  Topic 

itsenter
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-28 : 11:48:34
Hi,

Is there any system table that I can query to view the time when the trunsaction log was truncated ?

Thanks,
irene.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-28 : 23:34:43
Not as I know. If you do log backup, that's the time.
Go to Top of Page

itsenter
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-29 : 09:49:46
is there any system table, or any dbcc command that let you view the time last backup happened ? What if it was only truncated ? is it possible to get the history of the time log was truncated ?

Thanks,
irene.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-29 : 11:47:29
The thread referred to by:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55210&SearchTerms=RESTORE%20syntax%20/%20example

has a SELECt for Backup times etc.

But I doubt that is going to help.

The only thing in my mind is that after a Truncate I think the TLog backups will be invalid until the next FULL backup. Either the files will exist, and be consistently tiny, OR there will be no files.

If you are doing TLog backups every 10 minutes or so the absence of them (or presence of identical tiny files) might give you a clue.

... but only assuming that I'm right about needing a Full backup after the Truncate ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

itsenter
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-29 : 14:29:35
This is scary ...

Do you think even audit can not help to track activities related to transaction log ?

Thanks,
irene.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-29 : 14:39:17
quote:
Originally posted by itsenter

This is scary ...

Do you think even audit can not help to track activities related to transaction log ?

Thanks,
irene.

Unually, this is not a big concern if you don't give clueless fools access to do stuff like this.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-30 : 05:27:45
"Do you think even audit can not help to track activities related to transaction log ?"

I agree with MVJ, but I suppose it would be handy if it recorded it in the Event Log or somesuch. Maybe it does?

The log is gone, there's nowhere to store it there!

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-06-30 : 21:18:16
There are some posibilities: someone truncate log with backup log statement or the db is in simple recovery model. In that case, sql will truncate log at checkpoint. Auditing tools may report backup log but not checkpoint.
Go to Top of Page

itsenter
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 14:27:20
You can obviously wright some monitoring tools to track transaction log if needed, but I expected SQL Server to have some build in features. Unfortunetly it can not do this.

Thanks everybody for answers.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -