Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 A floating point exception occurred in the user...

Author  Topic 

sanjivus
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-01 : 11:18:37
We are using SQL Server 2000 + SP4 on Windows 2003 Ent Server + SP2.

I have a job scheduled on weekly basis unser the Database Maintenance Plan. During the execution of this job I get the following error:

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3628: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]A floating point exception occurred in the user process. Current transaction is canceled.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

I have noticed that this error occurs when system tried to rebuild the index on a prticular table. This table has only one float column.

I have tried to get the MIN (=-1) and MAX (=100) values from this table which seems quite in the range of the float datatype.

I also tried to run "select * from MyTable where MyCol=0.0" and get the error message "A floating point exception occurred in the user process. Current transaction is canceled."

I did the research on web but did not find anything helpful. Microsoft recommends to install SP4 which is already installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q295030&SD=MSKB&

Please help.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-01 : 20:32:55
Tried rebuild index on the table manually?
Go to Top of Page

sanjivus
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-02 : 13:00:28
Sorry to ask you the stupid question, how can i rebuild the index on an individual table?
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-02 : 14:30:05
dbcc dbreindex(tab_name), check books online for details.
Go to Top of Page

sanjivus
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-02 : 15:03:03
There were 4 curroupt records in the table. I updated these record with the correct values for the column having float data type and it resolved the problem.

I had to export the whole table in ACCESS and did trial/error and able to isolate the 4 records (out of 300000 records)having problem.

rmiao: after updating the 4 records, I was able to rebuild the index. Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

rmaginot
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-10-19 : 12:17:25
Another way, you can modify the structure of your table using Enterprise Manager.

So, Enterprise Manager generates SQL Script to unload/load datas from old table to new.

After that, datas are good !

See you.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -