Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Cannot connect to server in Vista

Author  Topic 

Morpheus2007
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-03 : 12:25:55
Hello!

I am new to SQL server 2005 and Windows Vista. I installed SQL server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 SP2. It seems that I get a "cannot connect to server" problem. I see the "Connect to server" popup window when hit the "Connect Object explorer" under the file menu or "Connect database Engine" under the Object explorer pane. Trying to see a Server name I recognized there was nothing there. Tried "browse for more" but It seems that no servers can be found at all.

I logged into Windows Vista with my account (with administrator rights, but not the Main Administrator account itself). I also tried SQL Server 2005 User Provisioning Tool for Vista, but it cannot find no instances in the "Available Privilegies" window.

I read a lot on forums on the net, but what is the best solution to use for this situation? Maybe I shall log on with the Main Admin Account and install again? Or is there better ways? Please can someone give me the best practices for this topic?

Thanks in advance!

MP

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-03 : 12:43:18
You can just type in server name and make connection, ensure sql services are running.
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus2007
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-03 : 13:26:07
My problem is that I can't find a server (servername) to connect with. I tried some servernames which I invented (since I don't find some). I also tried my computer name, but that also failed. I've got this error:

Cannot connect to server.
------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

What should I do?
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-03 : 23:56:36
Ensure sql server service and sql server browser service are running on vista, use proper sql instance name if you installed sql2k5 as named instance.
Go to Top of Page

LA768
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-04 : 10:43:30
Make sure that the "Server" service is started
Also make sure in SQL Server you have the following active:
1 - Allow remote connections
2 - TCP/IP and named pipes

Larry :-)
Go to Top of Page

gjkiwi
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-03-26 : 03:14:10
Also, don't forget to start the SQL Browser. That allows other machines to see the SQL instances on the host computer.

cheers,

G
Go to Top of Page

bahman_fakhr
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-05-14 : 00:52:16
Hi, recently i faced with same problem and finally found its reason and also solution. in fact Windows Vista firewall don't let your remote computer to connect with sql server service.

solution is easy! go to control panel -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, and set your firewall.

for more details on how let your firewall do well with Sql Server follow the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944390

Bahman Fakhr Sabahi,
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -