Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Unable to restore databases from tape: Timeout exp

Author  Topic 

Maxer
Yak Posting Veteran

51 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-06 : 13:49:23

I'm trying to test my backups by restoring from production onto a DEV machine.

However, when I insert the backup tape into the drive, then go into SSMS and right click on
Databases -> Restore Database -> From Device .... -> Tape -> Add -> (my tape drive \\.\Tape0) -> Contents
it displays the contents as it should.

So I click "Close" to close the contents and bring me back to the Specify Backup where I have \\.\Tape0 selected and I then click "OK"
SSMS sits for a few seconds, and then I get a time out error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------
An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3054&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-2&LinkId=20476
BUTTONS:
OK

That's all the further I can get... any suggestions?

I'm VERY perplexed by this...

KenW
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

391 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-06 : 15:19:59
Did you follow the link to microsoft.com? It specifically says that this could be an issue with your firewall.

[code]
Explanation

The SQL Server client cannot connect to the server. This error could occur because the firewall on the server has refused the connection.

User Action

Make sure that you have configured the firewall on the server instance of SQL Server to accept connections.
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Maxer
Yak Posting Veteran

51 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-06 : 15:27:12
No, because it isn't a firewall issue.

I've tried it on both the machine locally with SMSS and remotely, same error.

Also, if I do a file group restore that works just fine.

I was able to finally run my restore, but it was very odd as the problem just "stopped".

I'm thinking that the tape drive was taking too long to respond, but I don't know how to adjus the time out settings to tell SSMS to wait longer...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -