Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Event Id 18059 Error

Author  Topic 

fcs
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 04:43:56
Hi,

We've have an SQL database which has been working fine. For no apparant reason I've noticed our event loads are being flooded with the following error. I don't know a great deal about SQL so would really appreciate any step-by-step guides on how to fix this and what it means. I've noticed that it only appears during office hours so it seems to be related to when users are using the database rather than it being a problem with the server. Below is a full description of the error.

Many thanks

Event ID=18059 | Source=MSSQLSERVER
Text=The connection has been dropped because the principal that opened it subsequently assumed a new security context, and then tried to reset the connection under its impersonated security context. This scenario is not supported. See "Impersonation Overview" in Books Online

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 05:45:27
How are you accessing the sql server?
This isn't anythnig to do with the database - it's the login to the server. Something is trying to reset it's connection but isn't using the same login credentials it used to create the connection. Sounds a bit odd.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

fcs
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 07:08:05
Hi, thank-you for your response.

As far as I understand the set-up we have is an application called Access (nothing to do with Microsoft Access). This is installed locally on each PC and using ODBC a connection is made to the SQL server. Within the ODBC connection we were told to use the 'SA' username and password so that the odbc connection can't have any permission problems. The users then launch the application and login with their own username and password. Essentially the SQL server (a windows 2003 box) just shares the database.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 07:21:22
Use the profiler to see what the application is doing - thyat'll show whether it is actually logging in to the server as sa or as the user. I suspect it is using sa and controlling the user access via the app.

It sounds like it's doing something strange to mess up the reset but you will probably have to ask the developers of the app.

Go to Top of Page

fcs
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-16 : 07:46:42
Thank you for the update. I'm not an SQL expert and have looked on the server for the profiler but nothing seems listed. Is there an executable you can direct me to please, or do I have to install this as an add-on. I found an SQL Server Management Studio Express but wasn't 100% sure where to look within it.

Subsequent to me log I've also found that the company has two blackberries on trail and they are using SQL as the database store, albeit that the time of the error messages seem to co-incide with the daily use of our Access database so I don't believe its the blackberries but might they be causing the issue?
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-16 : 08:41:22
The profiler would be under tools but might not be available on the express verion.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -