SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: The Truth About Access
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2001 :  22:57:23  Show Profile  Visit AskSQLTeam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This discussion, at 15seconds.com explains some some of the facts and misconceptions about using MS Access as an ASP backend.

Article Link.

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  12:53:24  Show Profile  Visit AjarnMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are some good points in this article, but they miss talking about a big challenge with Access, that being that it is a file-based database and you are in deep trouble when you go to a clustered web server architecture. Unless your server cluster has a shared drive, any database that is updated via the web will become out-of-sync with the other copies of that database on the other servers. We are in the process of building our cluster, and having to migrate several small Access databases to SQL Server. Of course, in the end, we will be happy that they are in SQL Server, but it is delaying our ability to deploy the web cluster.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Contractor$ never die, they just leave for higher-paying project$.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

Australia
4970 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  18:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Merkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah..

I posted that up there as somewhere to point people when they say "should I use access of SQL Server for my website". If they are looking at clusters, I think the answer would be pretty obvious anyway

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  18:39:46  Show Profile  Visit AjarnMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I figured the "official" answer here would always be to use SQL Server.

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

Australia
4970 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  18:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Merkin's Homepage  Reply with Quote

My rule of thumb is that if it gets to the point where you think you should even consider SQL Server, it is time to use it.

But that is me.....

BTW Mark, congrats on 200 posts

Damian
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2001 :  18:56:21  Show Profile  Visit AjarnMark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! And thanks for providing the opportunity.

Climbing the SQLTeam ladder of success...

Edited by - AjarnMark on 08/27/2001 18:56:43
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

Australia
1479 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  21:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was quite disappointed that no one mentioned MSDE. That poor Danny guy has probably since run off to load linux, but he had Access 2000, and probably would have been fine to use MSDE.

Has anyone out there had problems with MSDE in a multi-user environment? I haven't experienced any probs, but then so far I haven't had more than a few users simultaneously...

I hope that when I die, people will say of me - that guy owed me money!

Edited by - rrb on 11/15/2001 00:11:05
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15655 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  12:28:15  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's not much relief that MSDE will bring. The biggest drawback to Access in a multi-user environment is its locking scheme. Not only is the data file-based, but so is the locking.

Access is ATROCIOUS when it comes to releasing locks, and not that good with managing them either. I can't count the number of times I had to kick everyone out of an Access database and then physically delete the .LDB file in order to repair or compact the database. And sometimes I couldn't even do that, because I had a memo field that was corrupted. Guess how it was corrupted? Multiple users trying to make changes to the same row!

I haven't used MSDE, but I can't believe it can effectively use a similar locking scheme as Jet. The data storage is the same using Jet or MSDE, and I believe you can access an Access database/project both ways. (can you? I don't know for sure) If the locking needs to be compatible for both Jet and MSDE, then the problems still exist.

I can't recommend Access for anything more than 10 concurrent users, and even that is wildly optimistic. If you find that MSDE can handle that many or more, please let us know.

Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

USA
1157 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2001 :  13:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't recommend Access for anything more than 10 concurrent users, and even that is wildly optimistic. If you find that MSDE can handle that many or more, please let us know.

Microsoft's own documentation (on MSDN) suggests that MSDE shouldnt be used for anything greater than 5 concurrent connections. If your app works with more than 5 concurrent users then cool, if not dont be suprised.

Justin

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000