Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Powerbuilder 10.5 problem

Author  Topic 

TKING
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-30 : 17:39:34
This issue is still occuring does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks!

I am experiencing the following problem whenever I perform a retrieve on a datawindow. I don't know if it is how I am connected using OLE DB.

I am working with a PowerBuilder 10.5 window which contains one inherited datawindow objects that is calling a stored procedure in MS SQL Server 2000. When I run the application it performs a retrieveal on the database then the error is displayed. This is happening everywhere in the application not just one datawindow. Do I need to set some SQL SERVER GRANTS or properties?

A database error has occurred.
Database error code: 999
Database error message:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Object was open.Error while updating. Please refresh window..

Please advise on how I can solve this problem. Thanks!

-TWK

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-30 : 17:41:52
Run SQL Profiler to determine if an exception is occurring on SQL Server. Make sure to include exceptions in the trace, otherwise they won't appear in it.

If you don't have sysadmin on the database server, then you'll need to contact someone who does.

Tara Kizer
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

TKING
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-31 : 01:14:14
Thanks for your help! I put a trace on the connection but it does not really tell me what the problem was other than telling me what the error message displays. Do you know what the DBPARM string is suppose to look like when connection to sql server 2000 using OLE DB? I really need some input from someone who has extensive experience using OLE DB connecting to SQL SERVER using PowerBuilder 10...

Thanks Again!

-TWK
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-31 : 11:46:21
I have zero experience with PowerBuilder as would most people here, but we can help with the SQL Server exceptions. Could you post the exception?

Tara Kizer
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

simon17
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-01 : 16:22:47
I don't know if this helps. Was getting the same message. Did not have a return value (sp was supposed to return long), just had "return" as the last line. "return 0" corrected my problem.
Go to Top of Page

simon17
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-08-01 : 16:29:32
Just saw your other question. Currently just changing from native to ole db with pb9. These dbparms below seems to solve most problems. Let me know if you are using any other parameters.

Also, execute immediate "set nocount on" from script after connect seems to help too.

DbParm= DATASOURCE='your server name', PROVIDERSTRING='Database=your database name',PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',staticbind=0,PBTrimCatCharColumns='YES',PBTrimCharColumns='YES'
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -