Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 backing up data

Author  Topic 

newsqldba
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-04 : 09:49:58

i have an existing database that is very large. i want to split it into different file groups to make the back up faster. how do you split it? thanks

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-04 : 12:26:39
I don't think splitting it into filegroups will make the backup faster, but you could choose to only back up certain filegroups - and you then need to be sure that you will be able to restore a consistent view of the database ...

You can backup onto multiple devices concurrently - so you could backup to a pair of disks, on separate controllers, for example.

Folk with large databases often use SQL Litespeed for backups which they say is much faster

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Zoroaster
Aged Yak Warrior

702 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-05 : 09:21:10
quote:

Folk with large databases often use SQL Litespeed for backups which they say is much faster

Kristen

And they are correct! It is much faster and we use it all the time for large DB's.

Future guru in the making.
Go to Top of Page

newsqldba
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-05 : 09:54:45
thanks for the reply. il look into sql litespeed. my question was how do i split the original data into different filegroups though? also if i back up each filegroup into different diskdrives does that mean i need a full backup on each diskdrives where the filegroups are located as well? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-05 : 22:04:36
You can create new filegroup then move table to it, but it doesn't solve your backup issue as said above. You can backup filegroup, but makes restore more complex. How big is your db anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-06 : 03:51:09
I suppose you could choose to NOT backup a filegroup, if that would help (e.g. masses of NON-changing data)

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -