Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Help with a maintenance plan - comments needed?

Author  Topic 

methodology
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-12 : 04:35:22
HI

I know what sort of backup I want to accomplish with a given database, and I understand that the maintenance plans section is intelligent enough to give it to me, but I cant quite seem to configure it the way I want..

For the first week in the month I want to do a full backup every Tuesday at 7am and for the rest of the week, inc the following monday I want to append 10 min trans log backups to it. I then want to reinit and start a new backup file on the tuesday in the second week and do the same. the same thing for the next week and the next week until we get back to week one again.

so a 4 week schedule with each week dumping a full and trans log backups to its own backup set until we rotate back to week 1 again.

The schedule and the different files are the important bit. I assume I can create 4 backup objects named week1 to week4, create a job that references each one (with full and trans log backups) and then set the schedule for each job to occur weekly every 4 weeks. easy, yes?

Im just after alittle confirmation. whilst im not a numpty SQL is on a learning curve for me that I dont particulalrly want to be on... anyway.

Comments please.

Cheers

Alastair
Methodology.

"A computer once beat me at chess - but it was no match for me at kick boxing" - Emo Phillips.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-12 : 12:52:27
Why don't you just run full backups each night and transaction log backups every 10 minutes?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

methodology
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-12 : 13:04:38
Because I want to keep a months worth of data available on the server.

if I append to the same file each day the back will tke bloody ages by the end of the month and creating different files each day will be difficualt to manage.

CHeers

"A computer once beat me at chess - but it was no match for me at kick boxing" - Emo Phillips.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-12 : 13:27:10
There is nothing stopping you from saving backup files for a month if you run full backups each night and tlogs every 10 minutes.

There isn't anything to manage when you have lots of files. I'm not sure what you are referring to here.

It is highly recommended for restoration reasons that you take full backups or at least differentials on a frequent basis so that when a failure occurs, you do not need to apply a ton of transaction logs.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

methodology
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 07:13:12
Hi

Thanks for the advice, but the way Ive described is the way I wish to backup my data.

I just need alittle help in getting it configured.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 12:46:35
Have you ever had to do a restore from a file that had multiple backups in it? It is so much easier when you have one file per backup.

You are going to need to write a lot of code to do what you want. I just don't have the time to help on a solution that I completely disagree with, perhaps someone else here will come along to assist you with this.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 14:22:48
quote:
Originally posted by methodology

Hi

Thanks for the advice, but the way Ive described is the way I wish to backup my data.

I just need alittle help in getting it configured.

Thanks

If you want to do it that way, good luck. No one is going to want to waste time helping you do something like that, so you will have to do the work yourself.

You would be better off listening to the good advice you got on this thread and the other thread. Use either a maintenance plan or stored procedures like the ones on Tara's blog to do your backups.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

methodology
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 16:57:21
Wow

Friendly response there!

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 17:16:05
Would you like me to sugar-coat it? OK.

That is a very interesting requirement, but it is such an unusual way of doing things that I doubt you will get much help writing a script to do that.

You might want to reconsider your requirements to do things more like the recommendations of the very experienced people that have been trying to help you so far. Backups are something you want to make sure work, so it’s best to adopt a very conservative approach to setting them up, at least until you get some more experience with this.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

methodology
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 2007-09-13 : 17:35:16
There's no way I can think of anything witty enough to counter that riposte, so I shan't try.

Thanks all for your input.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -