Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Error 7416 - Help needed

Author  Topic 

OldHippy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-12 : 13:19:53
Hi,

I'm attempting to set up a linked server from a customer's sharepoint MSDE (SP4) to a SQL Server 2000 box at my web host. I keep getting:

"Error 7416: Access to the remote server is denied because no-login mapping exists." no matter what I do.

I have written scripts at my office that work at the office, run successfully at the customer site , but fail to link to the remote DB. I always get the same error (above) when I try to see the tables. I have tried multiple drivers including SQL Server, SQLOLEDB and MSDASQL. They all work at my office but fail at the customer.

Here's a script that works at my office but not at the client:

sp_addlinkedserver 'WebDB','SQL Server'
Go
sp_SetNetName 'WebDB', 'WebDB'
Go
sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 'WebDB', 'false', NULL, 'DB_User', 'DB_Pwd'
GO
sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 'WebDB', 'false', 'LocalDomain\Administrator', 'DB_User', 'DB_Pwd'
GO

('DB_User' is SQL authenticated)

I have set up a DNS entry for WebDB to map it to the remote DB server IP. The web DB is a default instance, not a named one.

sp_helplinkedsrvlogin shows:

Linked Server Local Login Is Self Mapping Remote Login
MAINSERVER\SHAREPOINT NULL 1 NULL
WebDB NULL 0 DB_User
WebDB LocalDomain\Administrator 0 DB_User

Does anyone have any clue as to what causes Error 7416? Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Mike

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-13 : 00:52:55
Does remote server allow sql authentication?
Go to Top of Page

OldHippy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-14 : 08:15:44
rmiao,

Thanks for responding!

quote:
Originally posted by rmiao

Does remote server allow sql authentication?

The web DB is at my web hosting service and runs in its own domain, separate from the client's domain and separate from my office domain. Its most likely set to mixed mode.
The user I set up is a SQL authenticated user. I can create a linked server easily at my office but not at the client's. It get's "Error 7416: Access to the remote server is denied because no-login mapping exists." no matter what I do.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-14 : 16:53:17
Can you connect to that remote server at client side? You can't set linked server if there is no physical connection.
Go to Top of Page

OldHippy
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-14 : 19:12:25
rmaio,

I can connect to the WebDB using enterprise manager at the customer site.
I can see periodic connections being made to port 445 which is used by named pipes by looking at the router's log. I've double checked the router's rules and all LAN traffic is allowed to any host on the WAN. I opened all inbound Wan traffic from the WebDB IP address to the customer's SQL Server. Didn't make any difference.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-10-14 : 20:52:54
Did you try connect to remote sql server with tcp/ip protocol?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -