Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Calling Stored Procedure From a stored Procedure

Author  Topic 

Bonzol
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-02 : 05:59:20
Hello, just trying to call a stored procedure from another SP like this..

CREATE PROCEDURE [TEstTHIS]
AS
BEGIN
EXEC dbo.CreateDateWareHouse
END

and it says

Cannot add rows to sys.sql_dependencies for the stored procedure because it depends on the missing table 'CreateDateWareHouse'. The stored procedure will still be created; however, it cannot be successfully executed until the table exists.

it deafinatlly is a stored procedure,, im clearly doing this wrong? can anyone suggest to me how I can call a SP from another SP?
Thanks in advance

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-02 : 06:06:06
It's just a warning to indicate that SQL Server was unable to locate stored proc - CreateDateWareHouse. If you want to avoid this warning, firstly compile CreateDateWareHouse stored proc and then TestThis SP.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

Bonzol
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-02 : 06:18:27
ah ok! cheers, it works,, so yeah. But just out of interest how do I compile the SP? I thought it was when I executed it and it appeared as a registered SP
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-02 : 08:13:30
It's when it's first run. That's when you find out whether it will work or not.
It's a bit of an issue that sql server is now happy to have missing tables and won't tell you about it until the SP is executed - it won't give an error when you create the sp. It will error if the table exists and a column is not there but if the table is missing it won't.
Oddly it gives a warning if an SP is missing.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -