Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 User-Defined function in WHERE clause

Author  Topic 

wjerla
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-23 : 03:32:33
Hello,

I have a stored proc similar to this:

CREATE PROCEDUE SearchDB
@param int
AS
BEGIN
SELECT col1, col2, col3
FROM tb1 INNER JOIN tb2 ON tb1.col1 = tb2.otherColumn
WHERE dbo.IsMatch(@param, tb1.col1)
END

This runs fine in SQL Management Studio, and gives the expected results. But when I call the stored proc from an ASP.NET application, the query never completes - it times out.

I know I'm connected to SQL Server, I can access other stored procs in the same database just fine. It is the dbo.IsMatch() user-defined function that is causing SQL Server to timeout -- if I replace the function with, say, 'WHERE tb2.col1 = 5' it works fine from .NET.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a little lost on this one. The really weird thing is that another stored proc that uses the dbo.IsMatch() function runs fine from .NET.

wjerla
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-23 : 03:34:19
Ooops, the actual WHERE clause I have is

WHERE dbo.IsMatch(@param, tb1.col1) = 1
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-23 : 04:10:40
It sounds like SQL is unable to resolve the where clause. What is IsMatch() doing exactly? It look to me like it is just trying doing an = or Like for the @param againt the column you pass in.

In the procedure that is working, is the function called in the where clause as well?
Go to Top of Page

snSQL
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1837 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-23 : 12:00:05
I'm guessing you have much more data in the live ASP.NET environment and using a function like that will perform very badly with lots of data - badly enough that it times out in your case.

In cases like that where the function is probably doing something pretty simple anyway, and you're query lots of data, just put the expression right in the query and it will probably run considerably faster.

Also check your indexing, do you have an index on tb1.col1 (I don't know what the function does so I can't say for sure that you need one, but you probably do for the join anyway)?
Go to Top of Page

wjerla
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-23 : 14:36:17
Thank you, snSQL, you were correct. The amount of data was much larger in this case, causing it to timeout. I rewrote the query without the function, which resulted in a larger 'WHERE' clause but the query runs many orders of magnitude faster now.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -