Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 A connection could not be established to LOCAL pro

Author  Topic 

pras2007
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2007-12-27 : 08:25:12
Hello All,

I tried to access my local sever and I got this following error message:

A connection could not be established to LOCAL

Reason: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
ConnectionOpen (connect())…

I was able to access the local sever several weeks ago without any problems. This problem is weird because nothing has changed in my environment to cause this error:

Below are steps that I have taken to resolve this issue:

-I deleted the old registration and tired to create a new one but, was not successfully created
-I tried changing the local name to the machine name that did not work.

I am using SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP Professional OS, does anyone know how to fix this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-12-27 : 22:44:49
Is sql service running?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2007-12-27 : 23:07:01
What is the name of the SQL service? MSSQLSERVER? MSSQL$InstanceName?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2007-12-28 : 03:00:37
I'm with rmiao on this - I don't think your SQL Server is started. You can check that easily enough by looking at the services control panel. Check to see that the SQL Server service is started. If it isn't, try to start it up. If it won't start, go find the SQL error log in your filesystem. It should be in a LOGS directory in the location where you installed SQL Server. You can open the error logs up with notepad or some other text editor. Read through the newest of the logs to see what errors (if any) have shown up. The error log should give you some indication of what is going on.

I would speculate that you changed the hostname of your system. Did you do something like that?

-ec
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -