Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 No history on SQL Server Agent Jobs

Author  Topic 

itsonlyme4
Posting Yak Master

109 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-02 : 10:55:30
SQL Server 2000 Ent

A couple of weeks ago, a password got changed on a SQL login that 'broke' a couple of scheduled jobs. They were DTS packages that used this SQL Account that were scheduled and set up as scheduled jobs using the SQL agent.

Basically what I did was change the password in the DTS password to match the new password, reschedule the DTS package which created a new Scheduled Job under the SQL Agent and then I dropped the old (original) job that was failing because of the password change.

I thought I was good to go. the newly scheduled DTS packages are running fine but i cannot view the job history on any of these new jobs. When use EM and drill down to JOBS under Sql Agent and right click on any of these new jobs, it just says NO HISTORY AVAILABLE.....

Can anyone tell me what is going on with this and possibly how I can rectify it???

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-02 : 13:41:38
Could job history of more frequently running jobs be overwriting your history? If you think that is the issue check the BOL topic: How to resize the job history log

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

itsonlyme4
Posting Yak Master

109 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-02 : 14:05:08

Thanks. My log is sized 1000 rows per log and 100 rows per job..

It's just seems terribly ironic that the only jobs that don't have any job history are the jobs that were recreated after the password change
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-02 : 15:20:38
Ironic indeed :)

But I'm thinking that as long as a scheduled job runs that means the agent is running and history should be created. If you run any simple quick job either manually or one-time scheduled for 1 minute from now, do you get history for it? If that works, can you run your actual job right now without screwing anything up? If so, is history generated for it?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the job is owned by sa but you are not in the sysadmin group so you can't see the job history. But I guess if that was the case then you couldn't see the job either so nevermind.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

donpolix
Yak Posting Veteran

97 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-03 : 12:55:28
You may want to run a profiler trace filtering the same job...

Donn Policarpio
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -