Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Other Forums
 Other Topics
 Poor RAID performance

Author  Topic 

cjp
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-26 : 05:22:15

I am finding that my (standalone) installation of 64-bit SQL Server 2005 is running very slowly when performing large disk writes (I have 4 fast SCSI disks in Raid 10 formation). My main computer runs 64-bit Windows Server 2003, has 8 GB RAM and 2 dual-core Xeons, so it should fly. A small 32-bit computer with an Intel dual-core cpu and only 2 gig RAM is much faster at large disk writes, using non-Raid XP. Is there anything I can do in order to speed up RAID performance on my main computer?

Thanks.

cjp

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-26 : 13:06:49
first thing I would do is make sure that you are current on drivers and up to date w/service packs for SQL and the OS.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

cjp
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-27 : 03:51:03
Thanks - I am fairly sure that I am up to date with service packs but will check these and drivers tomorrow.

I read something on a blog the other day in which someone was complaining about RAID 10 in similar terms. The 'explanation' (which I didn't really grasp) was that RAID 10 is good for reading data but relatively poor for writing data. Does this make sense? - The read performance is quite good (much faster than on my 32-bit computers) so I think it might be something to do with the way RAID is set up rather than with other issues.

This is my first experience of RAID, so I am struggling (tech support in my workplace has no idea...): is it possible to change anything in the RAID BIOS so as to alter the balance between reads and writes?

cjp
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-27 : 10:37:03
What results do you get when you capture the following performance counters:

Disk Writes per second
Avg Disk Bytes per Writes
Avg second per Disk Write

They should all be in the physical disk counters object.

=================================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today. One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -