Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2005)
 Specifying constant value for column in bcp.

Author  Topic 

hrishi_des
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 04:44:53
Hi,

I want to bcp data file generated by other system into a table maintened by our system. While generating the bcp data file they leave data value for id column empty (because they are not aware of the value in our system).

I want to specify a constant value for id column during bcp. Is there any way i can specify a constant value in bulk insert command? Can i specify it in format file?

Although i can read the bcp file and do transformation in front end (C#) it is time consuming. I can bcp data and then fire a update statement to update id column, this is also found to be time consuming task.

Any help would be appriciated.

Many thanks,
Rishi

When solution is simple, God is answering….

sakets_2000
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1472 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 05:03:31
You could bcp all the columns and set the value of the id column as a default value.That shouldn't be slow.
You could have the bcp called from a stored procedure and parameterise the value of ID column incase you want to change ID values every run.
I can't think of a way to have that done just by bcp though.Theres no such switch that bcp has for your purpose.
Go to Top of Page

hrishi_des
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 05:36:22
Hi,

What about concurrency? If two transactions are run at same time?

Regards,
Rishi

Go to Top of Page

sakets_2000

1472 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 06:10:11
you mean 2 transacations with different id values ?
Go to Top of Page

hrishi_des
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 06:14:24
yea, also some other transaction (other than BCP), may try to insert record in that table with some other default value.

Go to Top of Page

sakets_2000

1472 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 06:28:31
you could use TABLOCK hint to avoid that
Go to Top of Page

sakets_2000

1472 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-28 : 06:39:13
refer this..talks about how to keep default values during bcp.
First time am seeing it as well

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187887.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191289.aspx
Go to Top of Page

hrishi_des
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2008-01-29 : 03:35:52
Hi,

I did have a look at those links, i am afraid that won't help. And secondly specifying TABLOCK (I had though about it), any other inserts in other transaction would have to wait, so it won't help either.

Regards,
Rishi

Go to Top of Page

kashhar
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-04-14 : 04:00:36
Hi Rishi,

I am facing the same problem. Could you let me know if you found a solution for this?

Thanks! Kalpa
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-14 : 04:10:10
What about using QUERYOUT?
What about making a VIEW (with emtpy id col) and export that?

E 12°55'05.25"
N 56°04'39.16"
Go to Top of Page

dev2dev
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-14 : 04:27:27
quote:
Originally posted by hrishi_des
I want to bcp data file generated by other system into a table maintened by our system. While generating the bcp data file they leave data value for id column empty (because they are not aware of the value in our system).

I want to specify a constant value for id column during bcp. Is there any way i can specify a constant value in bulk insert command? Can i specify it in format file?

I suggest to use a staging table, this staging table will have the same structure as your destination table.

Create a stored procedure, which accepts a parameter (to hold constant which you going to update dest. table

bcp or bulk insert the file into staging table

insert into destination table using a INSERT INTO DEST_TABLE SELECT ... SQL

Hope this helps

btw:
quote:
And secondly specifying TABLOCK (I had though about it), any other inserts in other transaction would have to wait, so it won't help either.

I don't think TABLOCK could trouble you lot.

Can you give us more insight on the process (how systems interacts/uses this file and db, how many concurrent users tries to run/load)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -