Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2005)
 fact fields -> dimension attributes

Author  Topic 

influent
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-13 : 17:43:10
I have a fact table that has terminations. Fields include EmployeeName, TermDate, TermReason, and HireDate, et al.

I need to make EmployeeName available to drillthrough, and since it's a varchar field I can't make it a measure, so it has to be a dimension attribute. My question is, should I leave the fact table as it is and use SSAS to create a dimension that contains only EmployeeName and the link to TerminationID? Or should I redesign the OLAP tables so that EmployeeName is in a separate table?

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-14 : 08:09:54
Well, there are a couple ways to go with this. First of all, it seems obvious to me that you need an Employee dimension; however, keep in mind that the key to good dimensional modeling is allowing the information users to drive the design. Maybe you have a good reason for not wanting an employee slicer. Typically, EmployeeName is not a good sourcekey, so you'll want to take care when building your dimension. In my experience, HR folks love to slice by Bio/Demo when looking at Hires/Terms and (some of) those are good candidates for hierarchies on an Employee dimension.

Here is how I accomplish what you are trying to do:
Create a "Fact Drillthrough" dimension that is based on your fact table (not a dimension table). Include EmployeeName as an attribute on that dimension, but then set that AttributeHierarchyVisible to false. Then create a Drillthrough action associated with your fact table's measure group and add your "Fact Drillthrough" dimension EmployeeName attribute to the Drillthrough columns.

Jay
to here knows when
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -