Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Collation support for Multilingual data

Author  Topic 

SPriya
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 06:14:48
Hi ,

My database has to support multilingual data. (I can't change the data type to nchar or nvarchar)
I read in some article ,We can store multilingual data by changing the collation.
Can any one tell me what is the collation which supports multilingual data.

Thanks & Regards,
Priya

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 06:41:38
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144250.aspx
Go to Top of Page

SPriya
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:04:50
Thanks for the reply. I also searched in sites,they say Code page 850 supports multilingual data. But what i want to confirm is,
if i dont change the data type to nchar or nvarchar, Can I store all the data..i mean there wont be any data loss??

As am new to sql server bit confusing for me to select collation for my mulitilingual database.......
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

5581 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:07:53
Nchar and NVarchar both are unicode data types, only that one is fixed length data type while the other is variable length data type. So storing data in either of them should not result in data loss.

Harsh Athalye
India.
"The IMPOSSIBLE is often UNTRIED"
Go to Top of Page

SPriya
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:13:48
Thanks for your reply. My database has only char and varchar data types.
But it has to support mulitilingual database.

All i want is the collation which stores multilingual data.
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:16:35
You will have to opt for Unicode data type as I said earlier. Char and varchar are not unicode data types, use nchar or nvarchar.

Harsh Athalye
India.
Go to Top of Page

SPriya
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:36:41
:) No i cant change data type, since so many proc & Func are using those tables.....

With out changing the data typo ,by changing only the collation can sql server support multilingual database..............
Go to Top of Page

harsh_athalye

5581 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:44:08
No.

It's like saying I have 1 litre bottle, but now I want it to contain 10 litres of water without changing bottle.

Harsh Athalye
India.
Go to Top of Page

SPriya
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 07:54:38
:) may be..........

Because the application which is existing uses the database,all the bussiness logic lies in stored procedures and functions.
So its impossible to change the data type.....

See in oracle we have NLS parameters, If the parameter set to CHAR then Irrespective of the data type you can store any languages.

In sql server if they want to give multilingual support to the application which is existing...How they ll give with out changing the data type.....

Pls...dont tell me changing the data type is the only way :)

Go to Top of Page

Lamprey

4614 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-26 : 12:01:14
Maybe you could write a function that will break the double-byle unicode characters into two single byte characters and store them that way? Otherwise you should listen to what people that know MS SQL have to say.
Go to Top of Page

vishal.todkar
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 2009-07-30 : 05:02:56
Hi

We have requirement for Multilingual Database support for the web application.
All the string/text type database columns are using NVARCHAR data types. Currently my database can store and retrieve UNICODE and multilingual data. The main requirement is - Sorting should be based on local language settings. For example say webserver is in japanaese and database has multilingual data, and database server collation is English. when I search firstname or lastname on webclient it should sort the result according to Japanese collation. When my webserver is in German locale, the result should be sorted by German collation.
There are two options to achieve this.
1) Set collation in ORDER BY clauses.
2) Set collation in the connection string.
Both does not seems to be feasible solutions because in SQL Server, there are numerous collations available. Which one to chose based on OS locale is very tough.
Any other suggestions or advice, how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards
Vishal
Go to Top of Page

meetbinu
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2009-12-28 : 00:47:17
How can I give Multilanguage support for my SQL server 2005 database without changing Datatype from Varchar to NVarchar. Becase my application contain 1000's of Stored procedres. Now i can store Arabic language by changing the collition. Is it a Good way, using like this?. Please advice me.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -