Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Maintenance plan won't run, modify or delete

Author  Topic 

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 10:51:00
Had to replace leased server hardware running Server2003, Sql2005. Had machine Server B, set up sql2005, set up maintenance plan to do full backup on all user dbs every night to Server C network share. Worked great for over a week. Came time to do the swamp, brought down old server, renamed Server B to Server A, ran:
EXEC sp_dropserver '<old_name>'
GO
EXEC sp_addserver '<new_name>', 'local'
GO

All other functions to the database seem to be working fine. Was using a network administrator account - same one that worked before the name change so the SID is the same. Unfortunately, I decided to try and delete and start over in case it was just a gliche. Now, the history seems to be gone, but I can't actually delete the job or the maintenance plan. Get an error "Does not allow remote connections." even when I'm physically sitting at the machine.

Now, maintenance plans won't run - can't delete them, can't modify them. Other dts packages that execute a query or bring in data from other datasources work just fine.

Help!?

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 10:59:57
you will have problems with jobs while renaming Server name:

You have update MSDB database.

USE MSDB
UPDATE sysjobs
SET originating_server = 'New_Server_Name'
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 14:38:28
SoDeep,
Thanks for the reply, but I didn't do that one because I'm running sql 2005; I understood that was only for 7 & 2000? Tried it anyway and got:

Invalid column name 'originating_server'.
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 14:42:11
SoDeep,

There's an orginating_server_id, but they are all 0 - the ones that are working and the ones that aren't.

Janet
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 14:48:04
You should have your new server name in originating_server column. It works for SQL 2005 too.Please update.
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 14:58:31
Sorry my bad, updating system tables are not supported in 2005.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-01 : 22:18:01
Use sp_help_jobserver to find out job server name.
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-03 : 09:32:32
While others are listed under sp_help_jobserver, there is no entry for the specific one I'm dealing with here. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-03 : 16:15:15
Have a litte more information to contribute. I successfully recreated the two maintenance plans (except one minor problem) and they work fine. I'll deal with the new ones' small problem later, separately.

But, since I've got new plans for system and user databases, I'd like to delete the originals, but can't. For the systemMtnc, when I try to delete, I get this error when I'm physically sitting at the machine: "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation(mscorlib). An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to sql server 2005, this failure may be cause by the fact that under the default settings, sql server does not allow remote connecitons. (provider: tcp provider, error: 0 no such host is know) error 11001

I've disabled both jobs, but would prefer to delete the plan/jobs. But, it won't let me. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-03 : 22:25:40
What do you get from 'select @@servername'?
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-04 : 09:07:15
I get the correct (now) servername. What I mean is, I get the server name as it is at this time, after the rename, e.g. was serverB and is now serverA, which is correct. Janet
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-04 : 22:44:05
Tried with sp_delete_maintenance_plan?
Go to Top of Page

janetb
Yak Posting Veteran

71 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-05 : 10:48:29
Found this and it worked like a charm - hope it helps someone else.

1. Select the ID with the select statement
select * from sysmaintplan_plans

2. Replace with the selected ID and run the delete statements
delete from sysmaintplan_log where plan_id = ''

delete from sysmaintplan_subplans where plan_id = ''

delete from sysmaintplan_plans where id = ''

3. Delete the SQL Server Jobs with the Management Studio
Go to Top of Page

xyxoxy
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-05 : 17:18:13
I just ran into the exact same problem after a server rename and your solution worked like a charm!
You saved me a ton of time. Thanks for posting it !!
Go to Top of Page

kgerde
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-05-20 : 16:46:44
Might I ask what did you do to fix the fact that sp_help_jobserver was returning nothing?

quote:
Originally posted by janetb

While others are listed under sp_help_jobserver, there is no entry for the specific one I'm dealing with here. Any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

dba0000
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-20 : 22:25:33
I had the same problem and the post by Janetb (on 03/05/2008) appeared to solve the problem but after creating a new Maintenance Plan (using the Wizard) with the same name (not sure that this mattered) all the information that I thought I deleted (such as the connection still pointing to the old server) was in the new Maintenance Plan.

However, this time I was able to delete the Maintenance Plan via the GUI and the next time I created a Maintenance Plan (with the same name) everything looked correct.
Go to Top of Page

dba0000
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-20 : 22:35:38
I'm wondering if there are any other "gotchas" that are going to come back to bite me in the butt. Does anyone have a list of things to change for SQL 2005 when renaming the server? I found a couple of places (registry/Config Mgr) where the IP address (and/or the server name) was still referencing the old server.

Has anyone experienced any other aspects of SQL Server not working properly because of a rename. Possibly the reporting server or SSIS packages?

To be honest, I'm not exactly renaming the servers...
I'm actually creating VMWare templates and building VMs on blade servers using these templates.

TIA
Go to Top of Page

Spoower
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-27 : 07:30:00
Hi,

Is there anyone who has a solution?

I'm stuck with the same problem but I don't want to delete the Maintenance Plans!
The best would be if there is a way to edit the connection in the Maintenance Plan since it points to the old server.
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-27 : 09:18:31
Please try to stop the service for the agent and delte the MP's. but agin this is last option. before that you can try to delete from Query if not then try to do it from GUI

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

mdubey
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-27 : 09:21:27
Basically if you rename the server name, it is must that you should have to restart the SQL services. It may takes effected once you restart services for SQL server (Agent and Engine).

Manoj
MCP, MCTS
Go to Top of Page

Spoower
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-28 : 10:34:40
The problem is that I really don't want to delete these large Maintenance Plans. It would be so much easier if it is possible to change the connection inside each MP.
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -