Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 Error about deallocation of kept page

Author  Topic 

anandsaha
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 10:55:15
Group,

We are running MSSQL 2005 with SP1.

Intermittently, a job fails due to this error:
Unable to deallocate a kept page. [SQLSTATE HY000] (Error 831) The statement has been terminated. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 3621).

On research in web, someone claimed that the problem has been fixed in SP2. However, I have been searching the SP2 release note page (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=921896), but can't find the fix entry.

I am sure many admins might have faced this error, any permanent solution you found ?

Thanks for your time.
Anand
--

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-02-28 : 11:16:03
Sometimes restarting the server will fix the issue. It should be fixed in SP2.You need to call microsoft if not.
Go to Top of Page

tfountain
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

491 Posts

Posted - 2008-09-09 : 09:53:03
I saw this was an old post on this forum but no response. I just received this error on a database we use as a reporting server (we do a full backup and restore nightly to it). Last night the portion of my script that shrinks the data files down failed. I found these entries in my SQL log file (with the first being the most recent error):

Unable to deallocate a kept page.
Error: 831, Severity: 20, State: 1.

The timestamp on these two are identical and coincide with the DBCC SHRINKDATABASE statement being executed.

Now my question is this. I have googled this error and everything I find points to this being a known issue with SQL Server 2005 SP2 when snapshot replication is enabled. However, I am on SQL 2005 SP2. The source of the restored database does have snapshot replication configured but not on this database that errored out.

Does anyone have any additional information on this error other than it being fixed in SP2?

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -