Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Trying to understand the database backup process

Author  Topic 

pras2007
Posting Yak Master

216 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-17 : 00:49:28
Hello All,

I don't have much experience in database backup’s strategies; so I would like to understand the process in backing up a database. The pervious DBA had setup a backup strategy, but now I think I have to change the strategy a little. The problem is that large transaction log backups are using up all disk space on the backup disk. What should I do?

Old Strategy
- Full backup every morning
- Transaction log backup every four hours

New Strategy
- Full database backup once a week
- Differential backup on the other days

Questions

When a database, transaction, differential backup get save to the backup disk, does the files get overwritten at some point or the backup disk just grows?
Would the new strategy conserver disk space for a short period of time?
Would I ultimately need to buy additional storage space?

Please explain the backup process and advice which strategy would best fit my needs.

Thanks

sodeep
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-17 : 09:37:00
The second strategy looks good to me if your database is bigger (>300GB) otherwise first strategy looks good.

1)It depends on company policy. you can choose option to delete files older than to save spaces.

2)Depends but sizes will be same.

3)Yes , if your company needs to save full backup files for long time.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-17 : 22:29:09
>> does the files get overwritten at some point or the backup disk just grows?

Depends on how do you use backup devices or files.

By the way, didn't see log backup in your new strategy.
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-20 : 13:03:55
Also, within your backup scripts, if it's run "WITH NOINIT", it will append to the backup file until it's run "WITH INIT" or is manually deleted from the folder. If you run it via a maintenance plan, it's always a new file (both logs and full backups) with date/time inthe name. You can specify how long you wish to retain the files on disk within the plan.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-03-20 : 13:39:00
Is your data critical in that it would require point in time recovery in the case of a restore situation? If so, then you need to perform transaction log backups on a regular basis. We backup our tlogs every 15 minutes due to the criticality of the data.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -