Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Access sql server over network but not in domain

Author  Topic 

prosh0t
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 13:24:13
Hi,

I'm trying to access an SQL server 2005 database over the network. I'm at a client location plugged into their network, but when I log into my laptop I'm not logging into their domain. I have to access their network by typing in the name and password they gave me.

I cannot seem to access the database from my computer. I try to create an ODBC data source in the administrative tools, but the drop down list of detected SQL servers does not show the server I am trying to connect to. The weird thing is, it does show many other SQL servers on their network... just not the one that I'm trying to connect to. And I know that the one I want to connect to is working correctly because if I remote desktop into one of their machines (which is logged onto their domain), I can see it fine in the drop down.

Does anybody know how I can get a connection to this database from my computer, even though I'm not on the domain?

Thanks!

jhocutt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

385 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 13:30:08
Just type the name.

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
"Not only does God play dice, but he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."
-- Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

prosh0t
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 13:59:34
Hi! Thanks for the reply. cool quotes by the way.

I did that using 'windows nt authentication' and got an error:

Connection failed:
SQLState: 'HY000'
SQL Server Error: 0
[Microsoft][ODCB SQL Server Driver]'Cannot generate SSPI context'

when I try to use SQL server authentication specifying a name and password, I get 'login failed for user'. I know that the name and password I specify work because when I'm remote desktopped in to a machine on the domain with that same name and password, I am able to add the odbc data source to the same machine using windows authentication. So why would my name/pw combo work when logged into the domain (using windows authentication), but when I am off the domain using sql server authentication the same login/pw doesn't work? I've tried adding the domain on the front of the login id like : 'MyDomain/My Login', but it still doesn't work either way.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 14:01:30
You can't use Windows Authentication if you are not in the domain since you aren't authenticated. And you can't just use the same login/pwd for SQL Authentication. They are different users. Tell them to add a SQL account on the database server and provide the password to you. You can then use SQL Authentication to connect.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

jhocutt
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

385 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 14:02:30
You mean 'MyDomain\My Login'
Duh Never mind

"God does not play dice" -- Albert Einstein
"Not only does God play dice, but he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."
-- Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

prosh0t
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-01 : 14:16:50
that makes sense. Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the help very much
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -