Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 installing full text engine

Author  Topic 

pitmanfan
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 04:12:14
hello

i've got a named instance of 2005 up and working but i've been informed that they now need to use full text queries and this feature hasnt been installed. is it possible to install this retrospectivly?

thanks!!!!

b.veenings
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 07:02:04
CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG catalog_name
[ON FILEGROUP filegroup ]
[IN PATH 'rootpath']
[WITH <catalog_option>]
[AS DEFAULT]
[AUTHORIZATION owner_name ]
<catalog_option>::=
ACCENT_SENSITIVITY = {ON|OFF}

Need an SQLDB consultant?
check www.veeningsengineering.nl
Go to Top of Page

pitmanfan
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 08:07:19
thanks but i dont think thats what i'm after. what i thought was that the full text engine had to be installed when installing the database engine. it looks like the full text engine wasnt installed but it needs to be done now. does anyone know how to install that without uninstalling the database engine and reinstalling.
Go to Top of Page

b.veenings
Yak Posting Veteran

96 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-12 : 08:14:50
the catalog is the engine you need, you can add it to an specific table and an job will create fulltext engine what can be used to use fulltext search. for as far as i know there is no other way to use full text

Need an SQLDB consultant?
check www.veeningsengineering.nl
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 18:25:31
Right click on the db in ssms and go to properties, check 'use full text indexing' in files tab.
Go to Top of Page

pitmanfan
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-16 : 04:34:54
its greyed out.

i've got two instances set up on the server. when i check configuration manager the first instance has a fulltext service running whilst there isnt a service for the second instance. this makes me think something else needs to be installed.....
Go to Top of Page

pitmanfan
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-16 : 04:37:19
also, when i try running this command...

CREATE FULLTEXT CATALOG ftCatalog AS DEFAULT;

i get this error...

Msg 7609, Level 17, State 100, Line 1
Full-Text Search is not installed, or a full-text component cannot be loaded.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-16 : 22:26:02
Is mfulltext search service running on that machine?
Go to Top of Page

pitmanfan
Starting Member

25 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-17 : 06:43:02
i cant find anything called mfulltext search service. can this be checked from the services screen?

but.......when i check configuration manager there is a fulltext search service running but it has an instance name next to it eg. Sql Server Fulltext Search (QualityCentre). i need to create full text search on a different instance (SQL01). there is no service for SQL01.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-17 : 13:10:40
That means didn't choose full text index when install that instance, you can add it by running install again.
Go to Top of Page

MediaPirate
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-05 : 11:56:02
I'm having this problem as well. I have a SQL 2005 x64 STD cluster without the FTI service installed. I tried to Add/Remove programs, SQL 2005 and add component to install. I get the installer, expand database and check install Full Text Service on local drive. The option however selects the entire database engine installer. So, if I proceed it assumes I want to setup another instance of SQL. I only want to add FTS to the existing clustered virtual instance has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Go to Top of Page

MediaPirate
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2008-05-05 : 12:52:01
Nevermind, solution found;
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -