Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2005)
 Bulk load data conversion error. and more...

Author  Topic 

dimitris x
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 11:43:30
Hello,
I am working on an application that will import data from ascii tab-delimited files into corresponding tables in a sql server 2005 express db.
The problem I am facing is that i get errors when running bulk insert.
The tables all have one extra column which is a primary key identity value.
Additionaly, the column data types include:
int, bigint, nchar, nvarchar, datetime and bit
an example table looks like this:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[counties](
[id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
[InternalID] [int] NULL,
[Active] [bit] NULL,
[Code] [nchar](10) COLLATE Greek_CI_AS NULL,
[Description] [nvarchar](50) COLLATE Greek_CI_AS NULL,
[StartDate] [datetime] NULL
)

An example data file looks like this:

InternalID Active Code Description Date
1 1 01 Αιτωλοακα�ν 16/11/1909
2 1 02 Α�γολίδος 29/04/1949
3 1 03 Α�καδίας 16/11/1909
4 1 04 Ά�της 16/11/1909
5 1 05 Αττικής 26/07/1943

So, what I do is:
1. for each table I generate a character format file with the following command:
bcp mydb..table format nul -f tableformat.fmt -c -T -S host\sqlexpress

2. I modify the format file to exclude the first identity column by zeroing the field length, the column order and terminator. The resulting format file looks like this:

1 SQLCHAR 0 0 "" 0 id ""
2 SQLCHAR 0 12 "\t" 2 InternalID ""
3 SQLCHAR 0 3 "\t" 3 Active ""
4 SQLCHAR 0 20 "\t" 4 Code Greek_CI_AS
5 SQLCHAR 0 100 "\t" 5 Description Greek_CI_AS
6 SQLCHAR 0 24 "\t" 6 StartDate ""

3. I run BULK INSERT
BULK INSERT tablename
FROM dataFile
WITH (
FIRSTROW=2,
FORMATFILE = formatFile,
DATAFILETYPE = 'char',
FIELDTERMINATOR='\t',
ROWTERMINATOR='\r\n',
KEEPNULLS
)

As a result of the above configuration I get this:

Msg 4864, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 2, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 3, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 4, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 5, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 6, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 7, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 8, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 9, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 10, column 6 (EndDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 11, column 5 (StartDate).
Bulk load data conversion error (type mismatch or invalid character for the specified codepage) for row 12, column 6 (EndDate).
Msg 4865, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Cannot bulk load because the maximum number of errors (10) was exceeded.
Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
The OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error.
Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "BULK" for linked server "(null)".

What am I doing wrong here? With previous configurations I got errors about the BIT fields. In general, I only receive errors... The only thing that worked was with a table that only had nvarchar. Is there a fundamental mistake in what i do? I have read many posts, but nothing specific about handling different data types with bcp and bulk insert.
I would appreciate any help, as I am running out of time
Thank you.

Dimitris Chrysomallis

karuna
Aged Yak Warrior

582 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 12:28:47
I guess it is the issue with datetime format 16/11/1909 (dd/mm/yyyy) while sql server may be expecting in mm/dd/yyyy format.

Thanks
Karunakaran
Go to Top of Page

dimitris x
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 12:59:42
quote:
Originally posted by karuna

I guess it is the issue with datetime format 16/11/1909 (dd/mm/yyyy) while sql server may be expecting in mm/dd/yyyy format.

Well, when i run a dts package on the same data and by explicitly setting the date column/field mappings, the import works succesfuly, and the dates values are in dd/mm/yyyy order. I suppose that SET DATEFORMAT might be automaticaly called during conversion, but i am not sure.
Still, how am i supposed to correctly import these data files, given that I can not modify them? Should not the format file handle the mapping in some way? Ok, I can do it with dts manually, but it has to be done programatically.
Thank you for your response
Go to Top of Page

dimitris x
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 13:15:57
quote:
Originally posted by karuna

Well, I have to say you were absolutely right! I modified the date order and it worked!! Thank you.
But still, is there a way to keep the data as it is and let the server do the conversion? you see, i can not modify the data files.
Go to Top of Page

karuna
Aged Yak Warrior

582 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 13:21:14
Iam not sure if there is a way to specify the format of date in the format file. If there is one, it should solve the issue.
Let me try searching and see if I find something on format for date in the fmt file.

Thanks
Karunakaran
Go to Top of Page

karuna
Aged Yak Warrior

582 Posts

Posted - 2007-07-13 : 17:25:10
How about inserting the data to a staging table with varchar datatype and then populate your original destination table?

Thanks
Karunakaran
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -