Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 SQL Server 2000 error 17055

Author  Topic 

Dave_Vlad
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-16 : 07:26:04
Our SQL server fell over this morning and in so doing it filled the backup hard disk on which the backups are written as part of the maintenance plan. I have managed to restart the server and all services. However, two of the databases did not come back. When I attempted to restore from backup, it shows the files available and I tick the box but it then fails and reports a device error or device off line. When I check the application event log I get event ID 17055 and the following:
18204 :
BackupDiskFile::OpenMedia: Backup device 'f:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\***database name***' failed to open. Operating system error = 2(error not found).

I've had a good look around but can't find any trace of anyone reporting this before. I'm running SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 server. Any help gratefully received.

Dave

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-16 : 08:35:09
Are you backing up to individual files or to backup devices which contain lots of backups.
If the later then I suspect you have found why it's a bad idea.

What happens if you try to access it using something else?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Vlad
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-16 : 09:34:19
quote:
Originally posted by nr

Are you backing up to individual files or to backup devices which contain lots of backups.
If the later then I suspect you have found why it's a bad idea.

What happens if you try to access it using something else?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Hi NR

I'm using a physical hard drive on the server, with the option of separate folders for each database. It houses about a dozen databases and so all of their backups are on that HDD. The bit about the operating system being dodgy is a worry!

I tried accessing them as individual files but got error messages that the files were in use - even after I used the Admin Tools ->Computer Management to close any open connections to the files.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2007-11-17 : 01:50:50
How did you access backup files? Tried 'restore headeronly'?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -