Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Production DBA responsibilities

Author  Topic 

sunsanvin
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1274 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-16 : 14:10:05
Dear All,
it is a great thing for me that i've selected as a fullfledged Production DBA in a very big organization. but that is not an IT company.

i'm the only person to take care of everything...ofcourse senior consultants will train me initially. buyt i'd like to know what are primary and secondary roles and responsibilities of a production DBA

thank you veruy much

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-16 : 21:48:41
No specific line, all depends on what your boss want you do.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-16 : 22:51:14
Make sure all the servers are running and all the databases have good backups.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 08:44:56
"I've been hired as the only DBA in a large company, now please tell me what a DBA does."

Classic.

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 08:55:39
Backup is your one (and sometimes only) true friend. Make sure it works for ALL your production data. Loosing data is probably the safest way to get fired for a DBA.

And then there are always millions of things to do to ensure the uptime and stability og your servers...let's hope you know some of them before taking on this job.

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 14:50:22
I'd even backup your development environments periodically. They may tell you that they don't really need it but believe me, there will come a time when they do. Update statistics and check the consistency of your production databases on a regular basis (I do this weekly during off hours). You also want to ensure your backups are usable by restoring them on a dev/test environment. As stated by Lumbago, the list can be quite extensive (these suggestions are truly only the tip of the iceberg!). A lot of it will be dictated by your company's business needs. Good luck.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 15:12:40
what you need most are great nerves and being able to work under pressure.
it's not pretty when the users start yelling: it doesn't work! it doesn't work! it doesn't work!

this means that you have to have good monitoring capabilities in place.
what kind is up to you.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 15:21:14
I'm shocked that a company would hire someone for the sole production DBA position when that person does not know what a DBA does.

This is why we rigorously interview our candidates. Through the process, we are able to determine what their experience less is.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sodeep

7174 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 16:38:19
I think the good way is to check employment background.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 17:09:19
The "math" from a management point of view is simple: a full time dba is expensive and "what does a dba do anyway, right??". Working for a small company I'd say a manager would have to know quite a bit about the technical aspects of the business to be able to defend the costs of a DBA to his/her management colleagues. The problem seems to be that no one really knows what these people (that includes me now ) do until the &%¤# really hits the fan...and then they learn the hard way. This is at least my take on it.

--
Lumbago
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 18:01:52
I have just been selected as the head of aircraft maintenance for a major airline.

Can anyone explain what I have to do?

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-17 : 22:01:10
Make them look good.
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-18 : 01:53:27
Ensure : 1)high availability 2)performance

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-18 : 02:01:07
The two most important things that a production DBA does are preventative administration and proactive administration.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

pootle_flump

1064 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-18 : 03:07:12
....but always be ready for ****-is-hitting-the-fan administration because that is when you get noticed.

BTW - tosscrosby - do you really backup dev? We script out dev - backing up would mean $$$ in disk (we have more or less prod level volumes of data in dev & test).
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 05:02:38
I'm going through this issue at the moment - i.e whether to script out or backup the Dev environment.
I proposed to my colleagues that we should script out the DEV , but management have replied with the question of "how do we get the 53 contractors back to work asap , in the event of a Disaster Recovery?" . A good question, and which has led me to the conclusion that buying more disk space/tape etc , is cheaper than having a number of contractors sitting twiddling their fingers

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
Search IT jobs from multiple sources- http://www.ITjobfeed.com
Go to Top of Page

blindman

2365 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 13:36:11
The data is the application. If you are just backing up the scripts, then you are not backing up the development environment.

e4 d5 xd5 Nf6
Go to Top of Page

pootle_flump

1064 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 15:19:56
We don't need the dev environment up super fast. We don't even need the prod environment up super fast truth be told, but that's another story. Knocking a few TB off the NAS is worth it for us. We have multiple dev servers - if we lost one we can divert developers to other projects & servers while we get stuff back.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-19 : 22:06:59
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Valentine Jones

I have just been selected as the head of aircraft maintenance for a major airline.

Can anyone explain what I have to do?

CODO ERGO SUM

call a buddy that works for the FAA, get an indefinite extension on those pesky inspections.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

tosscrosby
Aged Yak Warrior

676 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-21 : 15:36:11
I do backp dev. Disk (and tape) is plentiful here! I've been elsewhere and did scripting. It all depends on your resources! What works for some may not work for others, the task at hand is being prepared for anything. As I'm sure you would agree, it all depends on what works for YOU and YOUR business. Our jobs are not necessarily "one size fits all". We adapt to the best of our ability.

Hmmm..53 contractors sitting idle, either my CIO would have a stroke or I'd be pounding the streets looking for a job....What would you do???

Terry
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-21 : 16:27:47
by lots of windex

Brett

8-)

Hint: Want your questions answered fast? Follow the direction in this link
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

Add yourself!