Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Anybody using Netflix or Block Buster Online?

Author  Topic 

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-11 : 15:24:12
I recently bought a nice TV and a blu-ray player, but I don't feel like coughing up $30 per movie. Any of you have experience with either or both of these services and can comment on them?

LTack
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-11 : 16:15:01
I have Netflix. As far as the online movie-watching goes, they have a limited selection (mostly TV series and old movies are available to watch online). However, they have a great selection available via postal mail.

I get 1 movie at a time...it's a 3-day cycle pretty much for me (receive it one day, watch it, ship it back the next day, they confirm they got it, ship one, and receive it either day 3 or day 4).

My dad gets 3 movies at a time...he's got the timing down to where he gets a new movie just about every day.

EDIT: I don't know if they have blue-ray?

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-11 : 16:27:34
I signed up with NetFlix last Saturday for three disks at a time. They mailed three Bluray disks on Monday, and I got them on Tuesday. I mailed them back as I finished them, Wed, Thur, and today. I'm hoping to get the next one today and maybe another tomorrow. They come with a prepaid mail envelope that you send them back in.

They seem to have a good Bluray selection. I assume that it will get much better as more things are released on Bluray. When you sign up, you just state your preference for Bluray, and they will give it to you in that format if they have it or DVD if they don’t.

You setup a queue of movies you want, and when you return one, they send the next one on the list. It’s easy to add and remove items from the queue, or re-order the sequence you will get them in.

There is a lot of help on site to help you select movies. When you add a movie to your queue, they pop up a list of others you might like. A lot of people have posted different types of favorite lists that you can look through and select from.

I've hated Block Buster for years. They kept trying to charge me for false late charges, and I finally just stopped going there. I remember that later there was a class-action lawsuit about it that forced them to pay a lot of money back. There’s no way I will ever do business with them again.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-11 : 16:30:37
We've been using Netflix for several years. When I was on disability leave last year, we were getting 8 movies per month (or whatever the max is). We're now down to 1 movie per month as we just don't have the time anymore with a new baby.

I have no complaints about Netflix.

My husband tried out a different service prior to us moving in together. I was using Netflix at the time, so he wanted to check out the alternatives even though I had nothing bad to say about my service. He hated whatever alternative he selected. They never had any movies available. I don't even remember what the company's name was as it is now out of business.

From the commercials, the Blockbuster service seems interesting although I'm too lazy to investigate other services since I'm so happy with my current one.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

dinakar
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2507 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-11 : 17:54:50
I had Netflix for a couple of years and recently I switched to Blockbuster just because ther's a BB next to my apartment and I can take quick walk and exchange for another one.. especially on weekends..we have to really master the art of timing with Netflix..so you have your movie for the weekend..I liked Netflix's envelopes better than BB's.. :)

Dinakar Nethi
Life is short. Enjoy it.
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dinakar/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -