Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Select from Procedure

Author  Topic 

jp2code
Posting Yak Master

175 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 15:08:41
Is it possible to run a query on a data table that is the result of a stored procedure? If so, how?

My stored procedure name is called GetDataByDates and it takes two dates (startDate and endDate). What I would like to be able to do is do a search on this returned data table using one of the fields that are returned (like Operator_ID).

Here is my example that does not work:

select * from
execute GetDataByDates '06/01/2008', '07/15/2008' A
where (A.Operator_ID like '158A755')

I would like to make this work because it would mean that my Visual Studio applications would be able to reuse many of our existing stored procedures without writing new procedures.

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 16:04:44
Insert the results of the stored procedure into a temporary table like

INSERT INTO #Temp
sp_executesql GetDateByDates...

Then issue your select against the Temp table.

By the way, why can't your Visual Studio applications simply execute the existing stored procedure, possibly return it to a DataTable or some such construct and then work on it from there?

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 16:19:05
or maybe add another parameter to the stored procedure: @Operator_id

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

jp2code
Posting Yak Master

175 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 16:43:16
First, AjarnMark:
I am filling these into DataTables, but these are then bound to a DataGridView. By creating the DataTable as an already filtered creature, the DataGridView has what it needs. My other option would be to create a second table from the first, and use that data to bind to the DataGridView.

TG: We've got a lot of stored procedures now, and Management would like us to use what is there if at all possible before we submit another for review. Go-Go Corporate Sector!

It is irritating how this board requires me to log in before every post. Is there a way to make that feature go away? I have "Save Password" checked, but I still have to insert it and my UserName every time I post. Strange.
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 16:47:01
Enable cookies?

- Jeff
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/JeffS
Go to Top of Page

EugeneLim11
Posting Yak Master

167 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-22 : 23:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by jp2code

First, AjarnMark:
I am filling these into DataTables, but these are then bound to a DataGridView. By creating the DataTable as an already filtered creature, the DataGridView has what it needs. My other option would be to create a second table from the first, and use that data to bind to the DataGridView.

TG: We've got a lot of stored procedures now, and Management would like us to use what is there if at all possible before we submit another for review. Go-Go Corporate Sector!

You mean you have store procedures for every possible way of filtering data? This kinda sucks - it does not faciliate reuse then.

Here is an idea for reusing your store procedures.

1. Get all information that you will be displaying into a data table (dt) (unfiltered).

2. use dt.Defaultview.RowFilter to filter the data to display what you need.

3. Set the dataGrid.Datasource (or GridView) etc, to the dt.DefaultView.

4. bind the dataGrid.

This works much better, less stored procedures, less code and easier to maintain. Your manager is happy with less stored procedures, your programmers also happy with less creation of store procedures for every scenario etc.

I can bet that if the database requires some change, you are going to have to look through your store procedures one by one to see if it is impacted. Why not just have one store procedure for each screen? Store procedures should be reused - in fact I resuse the same store procedures frequently and then filter the display to display only the relevant fields.

If the store procedure frequently have the same logic, e.g. select xxx from table abc, xyz where abc.Id= xyz.id, it is better to create a view to ease your pain of writing store procedure everytime, and select data from the view. I found that when I keep it simple, it is the most effective way to troubleshoot or manage changes. :)

Just my two cents worth.

Eugene
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-23 : 01:23:54
Eugene hit on what I was going to recommend for filtering on the .NET side of life.

As for:
quote:
It is irritating how this board requires me to log in before every post. Is there a way to make that feature go away? I have "Save Password" checked, but I still have to insert it and my UserName every time I post. Strange.

If you don't actually Logout then the board recognizes you the next time you come in, as long as it was within a reasonable number of weeks.

---------------------------
EmeraldCityDomains.com
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-23 : 04:20:55
quote:

Is it possible to run a query on a data table that is the result of a stored procedure? If so, how?

My stored procedure name is called GetDataByDates and it takes two dates (startDate and endDate). What I would like to be able to do is do a search on this returned data table using one of the fields that are returned (like Operator_ID).

Here is my example that does not work:

select * from
execute GetDataByDates '06/01/2008', '07/15/2008' A
where (A.Operator_ID like '158A755')

I would like to make this work because it would mean that my Visual Studio applications would be able to reuse many of our existing stored procedures without writing new procedures.

you can use OPENROWSET to get fields from procedure selectively. refer link below

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2007/11/26/select-columns-from-exec-procedure-name-is-this-possible.aspx
Go to Top of Page

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-23 : 08:45:29
quote:
TG: We've got a lot of stored procedures now, and Management would like us to use what is there if at all possible before we submit another for review.
I'm not saying add a new procedure, I'm saying add a new parameter to the existing SP. Its more efficient to filter the data at the database then sending it all to the client and filtering it there.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

jp2code
Posting Yak Master

175 Posts

Posted - 2008-07-23 : 09:51:48
quote:
Originally posted by EugeneLim11
1. Get all information that you will be displaying into a data table (dt) (unfiltered).

2. use dt.Defaultview.RowFilter to filter the data to display what you need.

3. Set the dataGrid.Datasource (or GridView) etc, to the dt.DefaultView.

4. bind the dataGrid.
Thanks Eugene! That's an excellent idea. I knew how to get data into a DataTable or a DataView, but I never understood the relationship between a DataTable and a DataView until you pointed it out in Step 2 above.

Ok, I have 2 handfuls of ideas to work with now. Let me get to coding...

Thanks to all!
~Joe
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -