Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 I want to design web sites

Author  Topic 

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 10:57:37
This forum and it's members have always been VERY helpful and a wealth of information.

Thank you all!

Because of that some of you may know a good source or have opinions on where I should start if I want to learn how to build a web site. There are a million and one classes out there and about as many software programs.

I was told to first learn HTML. Fine. That narrows it down to 100,000 different classes.

Has anyone took an online class in HTML or something similar and was satisfied enough to recommend the company?

CardGunner

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 11:04:42
if you're interested in building websites with MS tech then this is the definite place to start:
http://www.asp.net/learn/

Go to Top of Page

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 11:46:17
Go to www.lynda.com. It's a pay site, but the last time I checked it was only $25/month for unlimited videos.

They have a pleothora of classes on web development including topics like HTML, CSS, XML, Javascript, PHP, AJAX, etc.

It's a steal really at that price, and no I am not affiliated with them in any way other than I learned the basics of all those technologies on the Lynda site.

I just wished they offered SQL and some other areas of interest of mine.
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 13:14:40
quote:
Originally posted by DavidChel

Go to www.lynda.com. It's a pay site, but the last time I checked it was only $25/month for unlimited videos.

They have a pleothora of classes on web development including topics like HTML, CSS, XML, Javascript, PHP, AJAX, etc.

It's a steal really at that price, and no I am not affiliated with them in any way other than I learned the basics of all those technologies on the Lynda site.

Thanks for the reply David.

What classes did you take there?

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 13:18:02
quote:
Originally posted by spirit1

if you're interested in building websites with MS tech then this is the definite place to start:
http://www.asp.net/learn/

Thanks for the reply Spirit.

You bring up a good question.

How many different ways is there to build a website and what are the advantages of each?

I was told by a co-worker to go with HTML. Why? Because he learned it in college. If he learned asp he would say to go with that.

What is the language of choice for this?

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 13:32:22
think of it this way:
HTML is the assembly language of the net. everyone knows it but
noone programs in it
you have MS asp.net, ruby on rails, php, java, etc...
read this for more info, it's fun:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/09/01.html

then you have to realize that web dev is split in client and web
server part. Server part is the code run on the web server and is
generaly creating the html that is displayed.
the client part is javascript and CSS. javascript is a scripting
language that you can use to manipulate HTML DOM on the client
computer. CSS is a formatting language that tells you how your page
will look like.
then you have a database part of the server part, etc...

Go to Top of Page

DavidChel

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 14:03:45
quote:
Originally posted by cardgunner

quote:

Thanks for the reply David.

What classes did you take there?

CardGunner

I took classes in all of those that I listed plus some Microsoft Office classes to brush up on the latest stuff. Also, I took classes on the Dreamweaver and Photoshop Suites.

Why do you want to learn to create websites?
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 14:31:57
quote:

Why do you want to learn to create websites?

Doesn't ever red blooded american 40yr old male dream of it?

The immediate is the company I work for and myself think our website is a sexy non performing slug. It LOOKS great if you can find it.

So we have had meetings with web designers only to come out of the meetings thinking those people our full of it. The sites they were showing us were no better optimized then ours.

And I have a few ideas I want to try for new sites.

And I would like to add more sizzle to my resume.

And I have all this free time to learn new things, lol.

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

DavidChel

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 15:05:01
Do you want to make a career out of web programming?
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus

483 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 15:21:44
w3schools is free and it can get you up to speed on a topic (if you already know how to program) fairly quickly.

Regards,
Sean

you are the sum of your record collection
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 15:43:25
quote:

Do you want to make a career out of web programming?

Probably not. I think there are enough web site designers out there.

However if I get good enough building my own site or the my company's web site and someone wants to pay me to do theirs then I won't refuse.

It all comes down to there is a need and no one here is capable of filling it. We would have to hire out. I would like to fill it and strengthen my position.

Trying to go to another level.

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 15:44:42
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

w3schools is free and it can get you up to speed on a topic (if you already know how to program) fairly quickly.

Have you attended any yourself?

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 15:47:03
quote:
I took classes in all of those that I listed plus some Microsoft Office classes to brush up on the latest stuff. Also, I took classes on the Dreamweaver and Photoshop Suites.

How was the classes?

Worth your time?

Worth your money?

Did they fill your needs?

Was there any certificates awarded?

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

DavidChel

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 16:39:42
quote:
Originally posted by cardgunner

quote:

How was the classes?

Worth your time?

Worth your money?

Did they fill your needs?

Was there any certificates awarded?

CardGunner

W3Schools is a website wtih tutorials. They don't take long at all to go through.

Yes, the classes could be boring at times, but they were filled with information.

And for $25 for all tyhe classes you could watch in a month, it's a steal.
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 16:45:08
Thanks for all you input David.

What about the courses at www.lynda.com ?

Have you also taken course at W3Schools?

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page

Stoad strehngthend
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 18:06:19
Django web framework is the future of web programming.
Even fans of Ruby on Rails (RoR) are crawling, slowly but steadily, to the Django's side.
It's only 2yr old (1.0v will be released in September) but managed to get extreme popularity,
keeping growing like a rolling snow ball.
I don't want even to mention sh#t like PHP, JSP, ASP, ASP.NET (an ugly bunch of ugly bricks, without
any ideological basis).
If mladen show us a piece of asp.net code for handling E.G. *multiple* file uploading at *one* submit
event, then I show how Django handles it. You'll be surprised.
Django's authenticating, templating systems, its admins tools are miracles.
Btw recently setup Google App Engine: and Django is there. Google has its sense of taste.

As to simple static html pages you might want to get free html templates, e.g. from http://www.ossoba.com/
and just to play with their "codes", learning the stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G

331 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 18:33:58
If you have any thoughts of progressing past a simple static html site, you should start by deciding what server platform and technology you want to use. Then I'd recommend taking a computer and setting up your own internal web server, download a couple simple applications from sites like www.hotscripts.com, and get them to run on your own machine while you figure out how these apps work.

If you have a windows machine with the proper version of windows you will have a windows IIS webserver. If you want to play around with apache web server and php, get one of the all-in-one downloads like xampp which is easy to set up on any windows computer. If you have a linux computer handy you will probably use LAMP (linux/apache/mysql/php).

But there are more technologies available. Java servers like tomcat if you want to use jsp and java.

There is too much available for any one person to master it all, so you'll have to make some choices as you progress. I spend most of my time playing with php/mysql applications running on linux servers these days, there are tons of free applications of all forms you can download and experiment with, and modify to suit your needs.

$00000000.02

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Stoad strehngthend
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-01 : 19:07:30
> if you want to use jsp

Today I saw the question, on some other (.ru) forum:
where could I get a jsp component for handling multiple file uploading?

I was shocked. Yes, I remember, in classical ASP it was a pain too, but it was long time ago.
To see such a question in 2008 it's unbelievable.

Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-03 : 08:36:56
i know of Django and it is a great framework, however it suffers from the same problem as Ruby on Rails. it's new.
thus it has bugs and scalability problems. at least more so than php or asp.net.
so yes it could be the future of web programming but for companies that future is around 5-10 years from now...

Go to Top of Page

Stoad strehngthend
Yak Posting Veteran

54 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-03 : 14:44:05
Django's bugs it's rather temporary shortcomings, its 3-4 core developers are in extreme deficit
of time and under pressure of announced deadlines (I'd be proud to find a bug in it; alas, no luck).
Secondly, if someone "discover" a bug in it, he can, easily, by himself, track down the bug and
correct the thing, -- all codes are open (to meet a bug in Python itself almost impossible).
If you meet a bug in VS, ASP.NET etc the only what you can do it's just wait around for "good news" from MS.
http://djangogigs.com Are those employers nuts?
Go to Top of Page

cardgunner

326 Posts

Posted - 2008-08-04 : 12:46:37
Thank you all very much.

I think I'm going to be looking at ASP.

There is a web site out there that that I refer to as a very good and optimized site and it is built with ASP.NET

I went http://www.asp.net/learn/ and there appears to be a wealth of information.

The forum there also seems to be active. I'm sure it's not as good as this one though.

If someone has any reason on why I should stay away from ASP.NET please let me know.

CardGunner
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -