Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Does Connection String work?

Author  Topic 

jp2code
Posting Yak Master

175 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-04 : 09:34:58
I've got the following connection strings that I use on SQL Server 2000:

A: "Data Source=WORKAPP;Initial Catalog=PartsDb;Integrated Security=True;User ID=public;Password=public"

B: "Data Source=WORKAPP;Initial Catalog=PartsDb;Integrated Security=False;User Name=public;Password=public"

The only difference is that A sets integrated security to True, whereas B sets it to False.

If I use connection string A in my Visual Studio application, anyone who already has rights to the database can access the database through my application.

If I switch the connection string to the B format, no one can access the database.

Under the "SQL Server Properties (Configure) - WORKAPP", the Security tab has "SQL Server and Windows" selected as the type of Authentication. Also, the user id "public" has full rights.

Our SQL Server is being administered by a guy who is still in school. It is very possible that our system administrator (school guy) has unknowingly enabled some setting that prevents accounts from accessing the server. I am a software developer, so I don't know where to look.

Could someone give me some guidance? Connection string B should allow *anyone* to access the SQL Server's PartsDb database, but it does not. Why?

Avoid Sears Home Improvement

jp2code
Posting Yak Master

175 Posts

Posted - 2008-11-04 : 10:13:33
Ok, we can get Connection B to work if the Windows User is set to a Standard User, which is a Power User.

Our System Administrator doesn't like this idea, though. Most of our computers out on the factory floor are set up as a Restricted user (User Group).

Does anyone know if there is a way around this? This looks like it is getting into the rhelm of Group Policy, so I may need to go searching for another forum...

Avoid Sears Home Improvement
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -