Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 sql server 2008 backups

Author  Topic 

mdean9999
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-08 : 13:38:57
What are the different options for backing up an online sql server 2008 database?
Using the old sql 2000 I could just export the database files to the hard disk and save them as files.
The export command doesn't work on my system, I get an error code when using it! But It seems to only be to copy the database to my local sql server 2008 package.
How easy is it to copy the database tables to the disk drive.
thanks
Michael

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-08 : 13:43:54
You should not have been doing that on SQL Server 2000. Online backups are achieved through BACKUP command.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

mdean9999
Starting Member

21 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-09 : 03:35:06
thanks tkizer. Perhaps I shouldn't have been doing the backups like that, but it worked well over a number of years!
The backup command, as I understand it, when used on the hosted server will only backup the database to the hosting server.
I need an easy way to make regular database backups to my local machine. I have a local copy of sql server 2008.
I can export the data to a local database.
Setting up an empty database and using 'tasks, export data' options will copy the data but I still have to set up the the stored procedures, indexes etc. Which I don't really want to do every week! And I cannot expect my customer to do it either.
Go to Top of Page

AlexGreen
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2011-06-20 : 10:00:18
BACKUP command allows you to save your backups in any network folder as long as you have mapped it correctly.
BACKUP DATABASE MyDB
TO DISK='Z:\Backups\MyDB.bak'
But if you're not familiar with backups you could try this tool unspammed which works for remote backups as well.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -